Largest Isopods?

Ok. I’m sure I could do the whole Google search and come up with the answer, but I like to start interesting discussions on here. And I love isopods.

So what is the biggest isopod currently available in the hobby? And the biggest that you own?

Photos appreciated.

2 Likes

Porcellio:
It is pretty much undisputed who is longest between P. magnificus and P. hoffmannseggi. (P. magnificus is orange though :slight_smile:). However, P. expansus has the “biggest” combination of length and width. At least in American hobby.

Rolling Isopods:
Helleria brevicornis. Only produces once in it’s life time. Biggest terrestrial “Roly poly” isopod.

Armadillidium:
A. Gestroi. Awesome yellow spots and is built like a tank.

First place: Largest I own is Porcellio expansus. None of mine are full size, but still are absolute STUNNERS. White skirt with random white blotching down the center of the carapace.
Second place: Porcellio bolivari bolivari
Third place: Porcellio haasi “High Yellow”
Fourth place: Porcellio ornatus “Choco, High Yellow”
Fifth place: Porcellio flavomarginatus

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I will get some pictures later! My Porcellio bolivari pictures were listed on the “Show off your isopods” thread. I have lots more to get pictures of :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our largest are Porcellio haasi ‘High yellow’. And they’re on the show off your isopods thread. And to be honest they may all be dead now :weary:

2 Likes

Though I have seen bigger, much bigger than them. cannot remember the name but the breeder who we got all our last lots from had some biggens!!

Yes! There is a giant porcellio available in Europe that I saw a while ago, but cannot remember the name! Hoffs and Mags are our biggest :slight_smile:

My biggest atm are my porcellio werneris

And my runner ups are my dairy cows they are surprisingly large and I definitely underestimated how big they were going to get.

4 Likes

Those are definitely on my “want list”!

My biggest are my Croatian Giants.

3 Likes

Wow, those are awesome! I used to have a huge master culture of them, then decided to make the terrible choice to trade them off for other species because they were too “boring” for me. I regret it because these get really big, and are a super underrated isopod. :frowning:

1 Like

I got these for my 4 yo grandson because he likes to pick them up and let them crawl over his hands. I figured that these would hold up to it. He’s like super gentle with them though.

I also have some orange vigor that are pretty good size that surprised me with how big they got.

2 Likes

Nice! I am also super gentle with them, I have no idea why though. Even when I go herping I miss 9/10 lizards because I am scared they will dart and I will accidentally catch the tail instead of the lizard :slight_smile: and it makes me sad whenever a lizard loses its tail.
Yeah, Vulgare gets pretty big! I have Magic Potions and they get to a pretty impressive size. And the variety of designs available is amazing.

1 Like

It is Porcellio succintus! The name just occurred to me. The perfect mix of P. expansus and P. hoffmannseggi.

Image credit due to Isopods.eu

Add images here

2 Likes

Well I need some of those!

1 Like