Leo ID help?

Is anyone able to help with the morph type?

Lizzie is around 5-6 years old and female. She has extremely faint bands on her body and very faded dots on top of the head. You can barely see them.

2 Likes

@erie-herps can help I’m sure.

3 Likes

Thank you. :heart:

1 Like

She looks a lot like mine so I’m going to say normal. A cutie btw! :blush:

1 Like

Super Hypo Baldy. Both are line bred traits.
I wouldn’t personally say carrot tail, another line bred traits, because the orange is to broken up and not a solid band but some may still consider it a low grade CT.

Great looking girl though. Honestly one of my favorite looks for leopard geckos. I have an albino that looks a lot like her. =)

3 Likes

I agree 100% with @armiyana.

3 Likes

Yours must be a sweetie. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you!

What interesting info about the carrot tail. I remember years ago that was one if the breeding goals of many people. Breeders were trying for 100% CT. I see very few people focusing on that now. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thank you for the confirmation!

2 Likes

Oops sorry for the erroneous reply! I do apologize! I have been wrong a lot lately! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah, I actually had a pretty nice looking Super hypo Baldy CT back at that time, but polymorphic/ line bred traits can be so frustrating to keep investing in… And when a tail can so easily be lost, I think people were invested in getting the oranges and reds on the body to be the best look.
Maybe one day someone will work on it again, it’s just one of those passion projects now since it’s not all the rage.

3 Likes

Totally makes sense.

I’ve been out of Leo’s for a long time, and am just now thinking about starting again for myself years later. So there’s a bunch of new morphs and genes floating around.

What currently is the reddest Leo morph?

No need for apologies. We’re all friends here. :grin::+1:

1 Like

Here she is! Miss Pineapple @guppyguy

2 Likes

Beautiful! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Very red leopard geckos are all line bred. The two main morphs are tangerine and blood. It’s all about the individual gecko, there’s a huge range of what people will label tangerine/blood, and they aren’t always red. If you’re looking for a red gecko, the morph labels that people put on them don’t mean much compared to the actual looks of the geckos.

3 Likes

The downside with leopard geckos is everyone goes gaga over the latest trends…which then leads to the genetics getting watered down on these highly selective bred morphs.

If you look at the original line of RAPTORs from Tremper, they were also super hypos or line bred ‘patternless’. Not recessive Murphy patternless. Now they’re so washed out from everyone wanting to breed them that you see far too many with almost normal amounts of pattern.

The Bloods and super Tangs are the same way. Black Knights as well. Just be aware of what you’re looking for so you don’t end up overpaying for a lesser quality.

3 Likes

I getcha. I used to breed guppies. Notice my name? lol I should probably change that now.

Guppies were often labeled red when they were really orange. Line breeding made all the difference towards redder ones. :+1:

1 Like

Excellent tips! Thank you @armiyana

3 Likes