Leopard gecko housing

i have a year old male leopard gecko and hes just a normal one and he has no issues and is very friendly and calm he’s in a custom enclosure that’s a little bit bigger than a 20 gallon long and it can expand to a 60x18x24 and I was wondering if I could get a female leopard gecko and put them in there together, not to breed but just permanently and if they would get along

A mature male and female in good health will breed even if you tell them not to. J/k. People will say don’t cohab leos but other have had great success with it depending on the size of the enclosure and hide boxes and spots for them to move away from each other. Never put 2 males near each other and even introducing a female in to an enclosure that has been claimed by a mature male is risky. Hope it helps.

1 Like

In my opinion, co-habbing two females could work, but I would not recommend co-habbing a male and female. The male will stress the female out trying to breed her, or potentially over-breed her. The female may lash out against the male and injure him if he tries to mate when she is not receptive. I also do not co-hab males and females to breed. I just put them together for short, supervised visits on neutral territory.

5 Likes

ok thank you so much!!!

1 Like

I agree with @westridge . I would never cohab a male and female long term.

2 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t cohab, regardless of sex of the animals. Leopard geckos aren’t a social species and don’t benefit from being kept together. You can have two very tolerant leos, but you can also end up with two very territorial leos. It’s not worth the potential vet bills or even a dead animal in the worst case. Your leopard gecko will appreciate an increase in space without gaining a roommate

2 Likes