Leopard Gecko Not Eating

Guys…My newest leopard, Tanner, has not eaten since I got him. It has been three weeks. The female I got from the same breeder has not eaten, that I have seen, either.
Tanner came with a tail skinnier than I expected, but I didn’t think much of it, because it wasn’t horribly skinny. I expected he would start eating right away, but he didn’t. I’m only slightly concerned though, because my very first gecko didn’t eat for a whole two months after I got her. (Don’t worry, she went to the vet and was well watched)
I’m not too worried about the female, because she’s barely lost any weight and she looks perfectly healthy, but I am quite concerned about the male.

He is a male Mandarin Inferno Clown leopard gecko, with a hatch date of 6/21/23. He weighed 61 grams when I got him, now weighs 63 (it’s kinda odd) but he looks slightly skinnier. I have yet to contact the breeder yet, which I should do, but I’m not sure what the breeder can really do at this point.
He has been on a diet of mealworms all his life, and I offered him mealworms when I got him. He has also been offered super worms and Dubia roaches. He struck at the super worm, but never ate it.

Any thoughts are appreciated! I can add pictures if requested as well.

4 Likes

Are you keeping a bowl of mealworms in there at all times? That is how most breeders do it.

2 Likes

Yes. He has had a bowl of live mealworms in his tank at all times. I’ve even tried switching out the bowl to see if he just didn’t like the other bowl. No change. I have tried just dropping mealworms in front of him, using tweezers, etc.

1 Like

Have you tried leaving a bowl of dubias? I would also try some crickets

I haven’t tried putting dubias in a bowl, but I will. I will also purchase some crickets to try too. Thank you @logar!

1 Like

also make sure to not handle either of them until they are eating. And I would still contact the breeder. ask to see what their setups look like and their temps so you can try and mimic the conditions that they are used to.

2 Likes

Will do! Neither of them is too fond of handling, so I’ve kept it minimal. I will contact the breeder.

1 Like

I suggest checking your husbandry and make sure all parameters are met. Also make sure there are hides as well. Avoid interacting with your geckos for some time to minimize stress. If you have tried tweezers and a bowl of feeders with no success I highly suggest trying other feeder varieties. Some geckos are picky. Try dubias, horn works, wax worms (sparingly), etc. also try smaller sizes worms too. You could be offering bigger prey items to your geckos. Try to offer small mealworms. Lastly they are crepuscular animals so they are more active early morning and evenings. Keep the food in the bowls but make sure there’s enough worms during those peak hours. Also make sure they are live. Many geckos feed response are triggered by movement. Good luck

1 Like