Leopard or Banded

Ok. The wife and I rescued these from Petsmart. I say they are Banded geckos and she says they are leopard geckos. What say you?

3 Likes

Is this a trick question? :slight_smile: (I’m kiddin) the species is indeed leopard gecko. The morph - I am unsure on that. Buuuuuuut I’ll go ahead and tag @mblaney in here and see what her suggestion is on what morph these little ones are.

If I could take a guess at Leo #2 I would say normal but I could be completely wrong. :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I was trying to find a top-down photo of my banded gecko. Couldn’t find one. As others have said, you have a Leo. The banded geckos are more slender or thin-looking than Leos.

4 Likes

What were they sold to you as?

If you’re concerned about the condition of animals you see in a store, make sure that you don’t buy them, as doing so is merely financially rewarding the store for their practices, and new animals will only replace the ones you have purchased.

They look like leopard geckos to me, and leopard geckos are by far more common than bandeds, especially at megachain pet stores. Be careful about holding them insecurely from so high up- a fall like that could easily kill a leo.

3 Likes

Unless you get the store to surrender the animals to you for free, you are merely perpetuating the cycle of animal cruelty at the hands of the pet store. That said, they are leopard geckos, not banded geckos.

4 Likes

Any idea what the morphs might be?

The first one looks like an Aberrant Normal and the second like a Banded Normal, but you can never know the genetics behind mega chain pet store purchases.

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses and the berating. I appreciate it.

1 Like