Less common colubrids

Another fun fact about house snakes is they’re more closely related to elapids than colubrids.

6 Likes

Madagascar Cat eyes are awesome!! Love mine…highly recommended. I also love my Bamboo rats…but careful they dont get to hot as others have said.

5 Likes

Western Garters are a fabulous red! I recall a beautiful photo from @welshmorphology on here somewhere…

4 Likes

Kukri snakes? I don’t believe they get too big. Unfortunately I’m not familiar with their care requirements nor general temperament. @t_h_wyman should be able to shed some light on that.

1 Like

LOL

They certainly fit the size requirement, that said, I very purposefully left them off the table because of this:

Unless your end goal is to see how many visits for stitches you can make before your doctor reports you for self-abuse, trust me when I tell you that you DO NOT want to handle them :crazy_face: :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah, I watched a snake discovery video on them, and they are DEFINITELY not handleable!

2 Likes

In my opinion lampropeltis pyromelana and lampropeltis knoblochi. Both are very easy to care for, non aggressive and not overly flighty. They do well in typical room temps and don’t require high heat or specialized food. Both are visually stunning.

1 Like

Are you sure? You did call them this :arrow_down: Lol :joy:

2 Likes

Yeeess, another one recommending Arizona mountain kingsnakes. Chihuahua mountain kingsnakes are their more white cousin so their care is the same.

Not super well known but still actively captive bred… tricky. So if we’re not grouping all king snakes into the same group speckled king snakes are one I’d really like.

2 Likes

I will always be an advocator for hognose snakes! If you don’t want a western hogs then eastern hogs and tri color hogs are both amazing snakes.

Beauty Rat Snakes are another one that are bred and fairly uncommon, gorgeous snakes, same with Russian Ratsnakes. Though both get a bit big

Trans Pecos Rat snakes- and fox snakes both are captive bred, docile/handleable, and are fairly small.

3 Likes

I’ll be picking up some western hogs in a month!

2 Likes

Also, trans pecos rat snakes seem very interesting, got any info on them?

I know they can grow bigger than 4 feet, but does anyone have information on the 100 flower rat snake?

They’re nocturnal desert snakes, that live in fairly rocky areas, and can live up to 20 years in captivity.

Other than that, I don’t know too many specifics about them. I know they’re super docile even in the wild though, and have a few readily available morphs.

1 Like

Hi! I would say a DeKay’s Brown snake. They don’t grow much bigger than a foot, and i’ve heard they’re pretty friendly and fun to feed. They aren’t very well known either, but this makes them harder to obtain. I’m also currently looking for a captive bred Dekays, and i’m hoping to start breeding them, but no luck on finding any for sale right now. If they do become available, you should totally look into getting them!

1 Like

Hi there! Currently, my focus is completely on breeding hognose snakes, so I have decided to not take on any of the rare colubrids I was planning on getting before. So thanks for the suggestion, but sadly, I will not be able to use it.

1 Like

Okay, cool! Hognose snakes are adorable!

1 Like

It really depends on who you are asking. Some people don’t consider garter snakes colubrids either, but belonging to the family Natricidae

1 Like

I love my Russian Rats … they check all the boxes for me … and requirement here … except a bit bigger than listed … but their curious and gentle nature make their size no concern fot me! :slight_smile:

2 Likes