Less common colubrids

I’m looking for a species of colubrid that isn’t super well known, grows no bigger than three or four feet, makes a great pet and is available captive bred. I’d also like it to be at least semi handleable. What would y’all suggest?

4 Likes

Following this thread. I’m interested in the responses.

1 Like

Cape african house snake, it fits every category. Kenyan sand boas also would work.

5 Likes

Kenyan sand boas are boas

2 Likes

I knew that but I still mentioned it since they check all the boxes (I figured you asked for colubrids for characteristics rather than taxonomy).

4 Likes

oh, ok. gotcha.

2 Likes

Also, fun fact, since I brought up the kenyan sand boa thing, african house snakes aren’t actually colubrids, they’re lamprophiids.

5 Likes

Bamboo Ratsnakes! Hands down!

8 Likes

I’ve actually been looking into those, do you have experience with them, or could you point me towards someone with experience?

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: I was close enough. :rofl: :laughing:

2 Likes

I don’t blame you, I learned very recently that they aren’t colubrids and they are under the other colubrids section in MorphMarket and are constantly referred to as colubrids by many people.

3 Likes

I have not had a personal experience with them but plan to get into them in the future. People that I have read care guides from basically say they are high humidity corn snake that sometimes has an attitude.

1 Like

Arizona mountain king snakes and Japanese ratsnakes.

2 Likes

They don’t need extra heat like a corn snake though. They are best at room temps no higher than 82°F if I recall.

1 Like

Milk snakes and garter snakes are two other colubrids (yes, I checked lol) you could look into. They both have a lot of morphs and species/subspecies.

3 Likes

@lumpy @ashleyraeanne Is there a specific subspecies of bamboo rat snake you would recommend, or does it not really matter and just comes down to personal preference?

1 Like

Yes, garter snakes were another species I was looking at.

2 Likes

Yes, I should’ve specified that I was referring to corn snake like temperament. Yes room temperature for them, no additional heating. Any additional heat will kill them.

2 Likes

The care of each one is the same, so it is just preference really. Make sure to look at what they are like as adults, because many fade with age.

2 Likes

Usually the black lines fade, and oranges can dull.

I like the look of O.p. Laticinctus, but as Ashley said it is a personal preference. But here is what they look like Large Baby O.p.lati Bamboo Rat Snake by EDzExotics.com - MorphMarket USA
But I also love the look of these
Yunnan (Pulchra) Bamboo Rat Snake by Bartley Reptiles - MorphMarket USA

1 Like