Less common colubrids

I personally like this subspecies the most, just because they hold color with age and them being yellow is nice. 2021 CBB Female Guangxi Province Locale Chinese (O.p.vaillanti) Bamboo Rat Snake by Sarpamitra LLC - MorphMarket USA

1 Like

Do remember that garter snakes can just drop dead sometimes.

1 Like

They also only live around 10 years even if they don’t.

2 Likes

Yeah, that is true. I think I’ll go with the bamboo rat snake. Probably either coxi or pulcher.

2 Likes

Although I am definitely considering the bamboo rat snake, anyone else feel free to give other suggestions.

1 Like

I will just drop this care guide here…

5 Likes

I also recommend looking into Japanese ratsnakes. They are gorgeous as adults with greens and blues.

3 Likes

what’s care like for them?

2 Likes

They are semi arboreal and do best in larger terrariums as adults, and can be kept on ambient temps in most cases. The max temp they really need is around 82°F but they can handle temps around 88°F if the heat spikes in your house. They only need humidity around 60%. Their native range has weather similar to the Eastern U.S. so their care is similar to the black rat snake. The only box they don’t always check for you is size. Some can get to around 5 feet, but that is usually the females. They are slender snakes so they don’t actually seem that long. I know a breeder that produces babies from high blue/green parents if you want to see how pretty some adults can be.

3 Likes

Tri colored hognose snakes

3 Likes

Don’t they have pretty short lifespans though?

2 Likes

I hear 6-10 years

1 Like

Malagasy Cat Eyed Snake (Madagascarophis colubrinus)

If you can handle a corn snake, you can handle one of these. This is a gold phase.

8 Likes

Maybe nerodia or crayfish, im sure thers more but those are the ones i can think of right off the top of my head

2 Likes

Lystrophis dorbignyi would be a really cool species to have.

I recently got a Mandarin rat snake, he’s pretty neat and much different from my Hognoses

2 Likes

I know they’re not technically colubrids, but I have been looking at african file snakes lately. Does anyone have any info on them?

2 Likes

Given their highly specialized diet, I would not advocate this species for anyone shy of a dedicated expert

4 Likes

Another fun fact about house snakes is they’re more closely related to elapids than colubrids.

6 Likes

Madagascar Cat eyes are awesome!! Love mine…highly recommended. I also love my Bamboo rats…but careful they dont get to hot as others have said.

5 Likes

Western Garters are a fabulous red! I recall a beautiful photo from @welshmorphology on here somewhere…

4 Likes