Less Dusty Substrate for Boas

So for a while now I have been looking into getting a different substrate for Kai my Boa. And his old set up I was using the forest floor from Petco but it was a little bit too dusty for me. And his new set up I did a 5050 mix between the forest floor and Petcos plantation soil. Over the last few weeks I have noticed that is just unbelievably dusty inside of Kai enclosure. Being that Kai may have deformed airways I feel it is safer to have him on a lower dust amount substrate. I do prefer the darker substrate because I feel it matches the forest vibe better. I have heard of reptichip or like different types of coco chips. Do you guys have any suggestions?

2 Likes

Over the years ive used just about all disposable substrates you can think of. Out of them all chipped coconut is my favorite. It’s relatively easy to work with and looks better than just about everything else.

3 Likes

I still use forest bark/soil good at keeping the humidity

2 Likes

I would agree with @randall_turner_jr.
Coco husk I’ve found to be the best overall substrate for tropical or higher humidity requirement species. Looks good, easy to spot clean, low dust if any and smells good too.

3 Likes