Lessons in genetics?

I’m starting to understand the whole co-dominant/ dominant/ recessive gene structure and how it works, it’s just biology with more options.

But does somebody have a list of which morph belongs to which or could we create one as a community?

I’ll begin a list below and add to it as you guys comment.
From what I have found across the web:

Dominant:
Pinstripe
Spider

Co-Dominant:
Butter
Cinny
Enchi
Fire Ball
Lesser
Mojave
Pastel
Yellow Belly

Recessive:
Albino
Axanthic
Caramel Albino
Clown
Genetic Stripe
Ghost
Lavender Albino
Piebald

This might help you.

Most of the information you seek can be found on Morph Market. They list most, if not all, Genes and traits.

Recessives are colored yellow, orange and pink.

In-complete or co-dom is listed as blue and purple.

Traits and dominate genes are listed in grey….I think?

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/reptiles/pythons/ball-pythons/index

2 Likes

The most comprehensive list I’ve seen is the list for morph market posted above.

Dominant traits are blue/purple (heterozygous / homozygous).

Recessive traits are yellow/orange/pink (possible het / heterozygous / homozygous).

There is some disagreement regarding proper terminology for dominant traits. Those of us in the reptile morphology world traditionally used the term “codominant” to refer to dominant traits with visually identifiable homozygous forms. Incomplete dominant was used to refer to dominant traits with unidentifiable homozygous forms. Some people now believe that the term “codominant” was incorrect and recommend the term “dominant” for mutations without identifiable super forms (homozygous) and incomplete dominant for mutations with identifiable super forms. Most of us aren’t professionals in the field of biology and likely lack the full understanding to have much of an educated opinion on the matter but I have seen debate from professionals on both sides. Clint Laidlaw stated (in a facebook group) that the old terminology is wrong and that we should all cease (supposed) improper usage of the “codominant” term. But I’ve also seen a post from Paul Hollander addressing the issue specifically and making the case to continue using the term “codominant”. Morph Market appears to use the dominant/incomplete dominant terminology.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?52847-A-Lesson-in-Basic-Genetics&p=2515394&viewfull=1#post2515394

2 Likes

Thank you, Ive even seen the coloured tags and just skipped over them in my mind as I didn’t know what they represented.
I’m glad I asked now.

Thank you :grinning:

So are there any other terms that are misused or have changed over the past few years?

1 Like

I don’t suppose you know of or if morphmarket have a sort of backwards calculator or morph list.

Sort of in the form of:

Dreamsicle = Lavender albino + Piebald
Bumblebee = Pastel + Spider

Yep, if you click browse then trait combos it lists everything available with the combo names. https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/reptiles/pythons/ball-pythons/multi-gene-index

1 Like

Thank you again. Yet another thing right under my nose that I overlooked.

2 Likes