Let's get those Amphibians on display!

7 Likes

Your Gray’s are adorable. Are they captive breed or wild caught?
This are my baby Cope’s. I raised them from eggs that where layed in my pool this summer, their almost five months old now.

6 Likes

Do you have… food? :rofl:

7 Likes

Just look at that little sly face :heart:

3 Likes

Unfortunately I found the smallest male dead last night. He was extremely thin which makes me think he was bullied by the other two, I know he was eating some because when I fed them I tried to keep the two aggressive ones in one area and make sure this male got plenty. However the amount during feeding time was either not enough or he had another problem like parasites. I’m going to be moving the two other ones into the main tank after I add some more branches.

1 Like

That’s terrible, sorry to hear that, @erie-herps. I haven’t seen one of my O. pumilio in weeks, I’ve been worried about the same recently, but I have yet to find any evidence, other than two frogs at night on the sleeping bromeliad rather than the trio.

2 Likes

Y’all I hate FROGS but you guys are making me want to collect them like pokemon cards with all these photos. I love everyone’s displays! @wrai I really like your frogs with the vegetation pics. Are those plants real? :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Yep, everything in there is all natural, except this ceramic Exo Terra Coconut hut but it’s such a literal jungle, you can’t see it.

This is one of several vivariums I have growing out currently.

9 Likes

That looks great. Is a 36" x 18" x 24"? What plants are you using?

2 Likes

That one is actually just an 18³. I need a 60 x 45 x 45 cm / 24” x 18” x 18” (WxDxH), or a 60 x 45 x 60 cm / 24” x 18” x 24” to start on my next one, but they’re an uncommon size to find easily. Been planning that one for a while, though, just need the enclosure now. As for plants, I have a lot of different things in there, a couple different species of bromeliads, two different types of fern, a couple of types of watermelon vines, a few different mosses, random mushrooms, the green leaf/red vine you see that’s blown up all over there (it’s in everything else now too, it clips easy and it’s great cover) and I can’t tell you the names of almost anything in there because it’s all on the pots I got the plants in, because I bought them in a package together and I never took the time to catalog them after I planted them. Someday, I’m going to get really ambitious and do that, but probably not today.

2 Likes

Ranitomeya summersi:

Ranitomeya fantastica, ‘True Nominant’:

Ranitomeya reticulata:

8 Likes

I hate that I can only give a like on that post. Those are AMAZING species, I have yet to come across even any tadpoles of the Ranitomeya species I’ve looked into, and I’ve had a vivarium specific to them growing for as long as the previous one my O. pumilio are in. But the

is absolutely incredible, I’ve never seen them before. I’m highly intrigued.

2 Likes

These are all amazing! The Ranitomeya fantastica looks super great, I’m going to look into these.

1 Like

Here’s a tad :slight_smile: (look close on his back):

This species is part of a really cool complex of locales - the true nominant was first described in the 1880’s and it was not seen again until about a decade ago. Understory Enterprises specializes in the legal collection of locales like this, though covid hit their business hard and they are not exporting to the US in 2021. You can find them available in the hobby though. Unfortunately this specific locale is reportedly under threat from deforestation - they were thought to be extinct prior to their rediscovery.

It is truly an amazing species - there are multiple locales, some of which look nothing like the nominants.

My fants are in a heavily hardscaped / planted 36"x18"x36". I started with 4 a few years back, and at last count there were about 20 in there. I gave them a large deposition pool and they deposit, transport and morph out on their own. Feeding time:

9 Likes

Ahhh! There’s so MANY! Wow, that is amazing. See, that’s why I need that 60 x 45 x 60 cm / 24” x 18” x 24” (WxDxH), haha, for more things like this. But I could fit some now with what I have already, just fine, too… Then I’m out of space for dart frogs for a while and nobody has to feel bad about feeding the dart frog addiction, haha.

1 Like

Would you say that this type is difficult to maintain? I have seen them and really wanted to keep them but wanted to ask someone who keeps them.

1 Like

WOW!!! :heart_eyes: There are so many, I really want to get a large tank and do exactly that.

1 Like

The fantastica and summersi are larger thumbnails (roughly 20mm svl) and are not that tricky to maintain - typical 80% RH, 70’s F, and some ventilation - proper supplementation is key (mine rotate through dendrocare, repashy calcium plus, and repashy vit A). They also can handle size fruit flies when they morph out. My fants are really bold, while the summersi are pretty reclusive, though that is changing as I build up their numbers.

The reticulata are challenging - they are one of the smallest dart frogs (12-15mm), and their froglets require a steady stream of springtails. The adults can tackle regular melanogaster. I waited 10 years before bringing some in this year because I was spooked by how small they were. I’m just getting started with them, so it’s my latest challenge. Definitely not a beginner frog.

4 Likes

These are what I was referring to, so maybe first darts. I nitpick husbandry so I probably could handle theirs. They are beautiful frogs.

3 Likes

If you had a bioactive tank running for a few months and you had a misting schedule figured out and had temperatures and humidity right I think you could easily do this. Just don’t nitpick too much because chasing specific numbers can be a problem, just have a nice gradient and the frogs will do their thing.

1 Like