Lighting for my 2 babies

I have lighting questions. I have my heat/light ok. My issue is UV. I am technical jargo illiterate. I looked up several times what to use for my babies. But i think i got the wrong ones. Can anyone help me. I have an arcadia shadedweller 7% for my corn. But it seem so tiny. Its 12"
i have a zoomed T5HO 14 inch for my leopard gecko
Are these right. Corn is in a 4x2x2 Dunia enclosure with no substrate yes (in quarantine) How hight should my substrate be. For the leo hes in a 38 x18x18. Also on no substrate for quarantine. Ready to put substrate i. Next week. Again how deep should i put it. Corn Snakes Leopard Geckos

2 Likes

The lighting sounds perfectly fine. Remember, neither of these animals need UVB so any they are given is just a big plus.

As for substrate, corns love to burrow so I would say at least 3 inches but more is better. As for the leo, I would first like to ask what substrate you plan on using first.

2 Likes

A mix of 80/ soil and play sand

1 Like

So I would go with a 60 soil/40 sand but either way, a 3 inch substrate layer should be good.

1 Like

If you’ll be using UVB for an amel corn, I’d make sure to give tons of foliage cover so she’s never forced to be in it if she doesn’t want it. Their eyes are more susceptible to damage from UVB since they have no melanin or eyelids to protect them.

4 Likes

@jgifford2006 I agree with @solarserpents regarding on the corn. All 4 of my corns (3 from Olivia btw) are in tubs so natural light is what they get but they stay burrowed or in their hides during the day

It’s detrimental for a leopard gecko to get too much UVB, (which is the craze now). Not ALL reptiles need it to thrive. So I would not use UVB for your Leo. Period. But there are definitely reptiles that can certainly use it……

I keep my leo on paper towels because I can keep his tank cleaner that way. You have to think of ongoing maintenance in addition to the chance of impaction.

3 Likes

Thatnk ypu she is an amel

3 Likes