Like persistant puppies

Cannot even open the cage without them coming over to beg

32 Likes

Ok so can I come visit you guys sometime??? Pppplllllleeeeeeaaaaasssseeee? Lol!

3 Likes

Oh they are giving Puppy eyes!
“Can we have mouse? You have mouse? We starve. Pitiful. So hungry.”

10 Likes

You nailed it! :lizard::snake::frog::+1::wink::blush:

4 Likes

Beautiful noodles!

6 Likes

Oh my gosh, that is too freaking cute! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

5 Likes

Do you co-hab a group year round? I am keen on creating an Applegate style enclosure network for my Mex Mex group…

2 Likes

Just the pair, but yeah, they cohab. year round. Not something I would do with most king snake species but alterna are not stupidly mouth-oriented like many other kings tend to be. Given how proximal mex mex are to alterna, I bet they should be fine with it

6 Likes

Interesting. As kingsnakes tend to be cannibalistic, I would not think this a good idea, but I am no kingsnake expert. How long have you been cohabbing gray bandeds for?

3 Likes

SOME kings have a tendency toward cannibalism, CalKings being the stereotype for the group. That said, if you look into the natural history of certain species it becomes a little more obvious that some species are very lowly inclined to exhibit the practice. L. alterna are a perfect example of this, they are evolutionarily designed to be lizard-eaters and they do not have the musculature to be engaging in attacking and subduing other snakes. Additionally, their habitat is so inhospitable that animals pairing off occurs at a lower frequency and so any behaviour toward trying to eat your mate would act as an unfit evolutionary trait.

Years… I guess about five or so
I will note that cohabing any species can run the risk of cannibalism and that it takes attention and a keen eye for the behaviour and attitude of the animals involved. I would never throw hatchling in with an adult nor would I put an overly assertive/aggressive animal in with a strongly submissive/intimidated animal

9 Likes

Wow, that’s very interesting. I thought that being cannibalistic was just a defining characteristic for all kingsnakes.The more you know.

7 Likes

What a great photo! I love it. :heart_eyes: Love the additional info about the species, too. :heart:

3 Likes

That is very cool!

2 Likes

finding nemo seagulls GIF

Food?

Food?   Food?

Food?

Food?
3 Likes

Every time I see you post something now that includes wood I think of the infamous car photo. :joy:

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

This wood is actually a store bought grape vine log, back from the early days when I was stupid and bought wood instead of going out and harvesting it for free

4 Likes

Lol same! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

What, you mean spending $65 on a stick for your reptiles is NOT a good idea?? :eye::lips::eye:

Pshh, YEAH… Of course it is, haha, i was just pulling yer leg… Who would even DO that?? Well, not me of course. Because I’m a super smort super dedicated wood FINDER, not buyer ofc…

Yeayeayeayea… OFC.

Deletes picture of Galapagos Jungle Wood my carpet python is currently sitting on.

:joy::woozy_face:

4 Likes

I do not shame people for buying wood, sometimes the commercially available stuff is more appropriate for the situation

That said, if you are in a position where maybe you can find the wood for free, it might not be terrible to take that option and then divert that $65 to something that is not available for free, like lighting or a thermostat LOL

5 Likes

That is way too cute!

1 Like