Little accident during feeding

Hi, I come today with a small problem, actually I would like to know if it is something that could endanger my pet. Today during feeding he was so busy that I didn’t manage to put down his dubia like I usually do. Instead, he quickly jumped up and bit the tweezers.

Afterwards I watched him and saw a bit of blood on his tongue (while as far as I can see the tongue itself is not injured rather part of the jaw, from the outside no wounds are visible). Due to the fact that the wound I am talking about is in the middle of the jaw, I have no way to add a photo.

Do geckos have good regenerative abilities? Is observation enough at this point?

2 Likes

So it shouldn’t be a huge deal just make sure it stays clean. I would make sure that if you use metal tongs to have a rubber thing on the feeding part or just switch to bamboo tongs. I only use metal tongs for my snake and everything else that I tong feed I use the bamboo tongs.

I don’t really know what you mean by this. Salamanders and newts are pretty much the only herps that have the ability to regenerate. I think you are talking about healing and the answer to that is sort of. Reptiles in general are pretty hardy and you would be surprised at how much they can come back from. It really shouldn’t be too worrying just look out for swelling, discoloration, him holding his mouth open, or any other sign of discomfort/issues

4 Likes

Thank you for your answer. I have bamboo tongs but sometimes when I want to put him dubia on the ground to catch it and it is easier to do it with metal tongs. This time, unfortunately, I didn’t react in time and he was pretty fast.

Of course I meant “regeneration” in the sense of healing wounds (in my language it makes sense haha). I didn’t see the translation error and it sounded weird my bad.

Thanks again for your reply, I’ll be watching to see if anything worrisome happens. For now he is behaving naturally, after time he decided to eat so I think nothing serious happened to him.

3 Likes