Live Food = No Sale

I just bought them for the price I quoted. I’ll find the email receipt it I have to. :laughing: Ah well. I didn’t realize they rotated the sales that often. Good catch.

875 + (150 * 3) = 1325 / 3 = 441 per month. Compared to $559 that’s a good $118. ~$25 per week to not have to deal with rats, though :+1: Personal preference, of course.

95-185 grams at ARS is $2 a piece, too :cry:

1 Like

@asura You didn’t include the price of what the racks (all racks are overly expensive unless you make them yourself, and even then they can still cost a good bit) would probably cost, or whatever the electric bill would end up being because of the constant use of fans to help keep the stink from being too much. Carbon filters also have to be replaced periodically. Not to mention all of the space the racks, bedding and a ton of food is gonna take up. Meanwhile you just need a single freezer for a lot of rats.

I did mention some of that a couple posts up :slight_smile:

That’s what I’m saying. Less rats… More snakes! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

When looking to buy a snake (assuming the seller passed my inspection), I do prefer the animal to already be on frozen since that’s what I feed. I won’t rule out a young animal JUST because it’s eating live, but I will try to find something comparable that’s already on frozen. If not it’s not a huge deal if it is on live as most can be easily swapped. An adult on live is a total no go because that’s more expensive in my area and probably harder to swap.

1 Like

One problem that is also being overlooked is most of my adults will not take f/t so there is that.

In my opinion you shouldn’t really be buying snakes if you’re not willing to feed what the snake will accept. Even if a snake has been consistently feeding on one kind of prey doesn’t mean it won’t randomly change its mind one day.

As far a breeders go, as long as they’re honest about husbandry and produce/sell healthy animals that are eating (regardless of type of food), that’s really as good as you can ask for. Each operation works differently and in a lot of cases f/t isn’t a viable option for the business or the snake. Just make sure to communicate clearly with the person you’re buying from, understand the individuals needs, and have a backup plan if switching to one kind of prey doesn’t work.

4 Likes

We feed exclusively f/t rats, mice, lizards and birds. We produce our own rodents and lizards for feeding. Birds we buy already frozen. We do this because most of if not all of our customers feed f/t and don’t want to or can’t feed live. We are wholesale only so our situation is a bit different. Is it a little more time consuming yes but not by that much. It’s also good because we can stock pile for breeding season and always have whatever size we need on hand.