Living enclosure

After watching Ryan Trahan’s video showcasing his new enclosure, I’m keen on creating a similar setup. I plan to house 2 Day Geckos, 3 Dart Frogs, Isopods, Flightless Flies, and springtails. What do you think?

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with them, so I don’t know what you’re looking to emulate. It sounds like a cohabbing bioactive setup for your decision.

The important factor is size. You will definitely need to consider that the animals will need more places to get away from each other for a bit.

The other is making sure to select the appropriate size day geckos. Avoid giant day geckos. You don’t want the geckos to be large enough to consider the frogs prey.
Personally I don’t like mixing species from different locations like this… So my consideration would actually be eyespot geckos since they’re small enough and from South America as well. But that’s just my own pet peeve, hahah.

I haven’t built any bioactives of my own yet, but I’m sure if you dropped some more info on what size setup you’re looking into or what kind of setup supplies you need help with, someone would definitely be able to get you some good advice.

I’m gonna tag @logar as well since he’s usually got a good head for this sort of thing. Maybe some good advice on where to start

4 Likes

So I remember watching this video but it was a while back. From what I remember, it was actually pretty great for a random YouTuber with no reptile experience. I don’t remember what species he used though.

As for the enclosure, I remember it seemed to make poor use of the vertical space and could have used some more climbing space for the geckos. I would make a 3 sided background with lots of ledges and sticks. I would also stay away from the fogger.

The species of dart frog I would personally recommend for you are Dendrobates auratas OR Dendrobates tinctorius. They both get to a larger size, are relatively bold, and some of the easiest of the dart frogs. For the geckos, I would recommend either going with gold dust day geckos or morning geckos.

Just so you know, a set up like this will set you back at least $500 without the animals.

2 Likes