Look who i caught Orange Crush in a 2l trap

Thanks guys for the well wishes and advice. I got my baby back.

Im happy the trap worked but she is in a bad shed and looks a bit rough.

I could really use some help here on what my next stage of action should be? I want to put her in a secure enclosure however im out of heat mats. Should i leave her be in her “trap” and put her back in the tub then fully tape the entire lid around so that there is no gaps?

I love her so much and she did eat the mouse i put in the trap for her.
What should be my next step(s) i want to ensure that she bounces back to her beautiful and healthy self. I am broke until the 1st such is the life of a fixed income person. At least her tub has heat so im thinking of placing her in her tub until i can get paid on the 1st to get her a heat mat in a more secure enclosure.

7 Likes

Yaaaaaay, I’m so glad the trap worked and that you have your beautiful girl back!! :partying_face:

Can you take the heat mat off her tub and put it on a more secure enclosure? Do you currently have a more secure enclosure?

4 Likes

Oh, and regarding her rough shed, I’d get her in a secure enclosure and just leave her be to decompress for a few days. You can bump up the humidity in her enclosure a bit, which should help her get the rest of the shed off. If after maybe a week she still has stuck shed, you can give her a soak in lukewarm (85F or so) water for 30 minutes or so, which should help her get the rest off. Occasionally it may require more than one soak. From the look of her, I’d be surprised if just bumping up her humidity a bit doesn’t do the trick.

6 Likes

I do have a more secure enclosure however i stuck the heat mat to the bottom of the tub and cant remove it.

I just need to hold out til the 1st to get a new heat mat.

Most of all im just so happy i have her back :heart:. Now i can focus on making her whole again and happy.

4 Likes

Normally they’re not THAT hard to pull off in my experience, but maybe yours has better adhesive than the ones I’ve used.

In that case, you can put her back in her tub, but maybe find something kinda heavy to weigh down the lid. Maybe even VERY heavy, given what an escape artist she’s proven herself to be. Tape all the way around would do the trick, but it would be difficult to remove to get into the tub. Still, I’d certainly understand if you wanted to be extra safe.

4 Likes

I plan on leaving her be for a few days to destress. Im definitely going to keep a watchful eye on her i may try to remove the heat mat i hope i dont break it. I may try just a corner to test.

4 Likes

I will remove the heat mat tomorrow and move her to a smaller and secure enclosure. The heat mat doesn’t seem hard to remove. Hopefully she will feel more secure in a smaller enclosure. I think i will wrap the enclosure in gift paper or butcher paper just to give her more privacy. After the 1st i will be able to properly build her enclosure.

4 Likes

I think ill also seal off the cabinets on the off chance she can be a 3rd timer. :joy: the 1st time she hid behind the sofa, that was to easy so she got smart and moved her hiding behind the cabinets. Im not gonna let it be number 3 shes going in a secure enclosure.

Still i can’t be mad at her, she is too cute. :woman_shrugging: :snake: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:

4 Likes

YAAAY!!! Im so glad you got her. What a relief. If you do havendifficult parts of the adhesive you can always use some cooking oil to help losen it. Obviously youll loose the adhesive but you can always fix that wjth some double sided tape.

5 Likes

The heat mat should just peel off. It likely won’t be as sticky after that, but I secure mine with a little heat-resistant foil tape (duct tape or electrical tape would work in a pinch). Most of my heat mats have been removed and placed on new enclosures many times, some have virtually no adhesive left, but they still work fine so long as they’re held in place with tape.

4 Likes

Hooraaayyy!!! I’m so glad you’re reunited with your little prodigal.

If she were a corn snake, I’d be confident that her stuck shed will be pretty easy to take care of with some humidity and a moist hide, perhaps a soak.

So happy for you!!

3 Likes

Thank you again for such an awesome idea about the trap. I can rest a bit easier now knowing she is back in my loving care. I know she will grow to become a beautiful adult. I definitely had such a depression about her missing and such an anxiety i constantly worried. I don’t know what id do if i lost her permanently. I care so deeply about my animals that each loss weighs heavy on me. My animals are my children they mean everything to me and are my emotional support. Having autoimmune illness on top of the pandemic and having CPTSD and anxiety, panic disorder, and severe chronic depression really keeps me isolated so my animals help me.

7 Likes

You are so welcome! I know how upsetting it is to have one on the lam.

Animals are truly a blessing. We who are fortunate enough to understand that are deeply blessed, indeed.

3 Likes

That’s great! I’m super excited for you! I wouldn’t worry about the stuck shed yet. The next step is going to be getting her into a secure enclosure (she’s a bit too good of an explorer, haha). The advice given is great advice for moving her. You could also use a board on top of the lid with weights on it. That will balance the weight evenly across the lid giving pretty much no chance of escape.

4 Likes

Im definitely listening and continuing to learn. Im trying to take everything in and be flexible in my snakes care since im only about 2 months old in the snakes but thanks to everyone with such great information im definitely getting education.

4 Likes

Oh good, she’s back!
If she’s eating, you’ve got nothing to worry about, and a good humid period or a soak will do for the shed.

4 Likes

Glad to see you caught her, I knew you would eventually! Everyone else has already given the requisite advice, so I will just say congrats, and hopefully she settles back in, finishes her shed, and learns not to be so adventurous in the future. :smile:

3 Likes

Hey, SO glad you got OC! So happy for you.

Also, just so you know I came across a company that sells tracks to convert a tub into a front opening enclosure. The whole thing is under 20 to 30 bucks depending on the size (for a Rosy it shouldn’t be too bad.) It sounds like you have an alternative already, but in case you may want to permanently close the top of a tub and use a front sliding door or cut a hole to cover with steel mesh or something for a CHE, whatever.

https://www.specialtyenclosuredesigns.com/shop

Specialty Enclosure Designs, it’s called a Python Portal (clever name lol) and I’m thinking about trying to convert like a 100gal tub or something with one. Just an idea, if you find you need help getting a mat people sell them on FB Market a lot for super cheap. Good luck!

4 Likes

Thank you for that i will definitely take a look. Im open to all options and what will work.

5 Likes

My baby Orange crush ate and digested her mouse and eliminated her waste and is comfortably hiding under her aspen bedding i made sure to put enough in so that she can burrow into it. I may offer her another fuzzy in a few days because she was gone without a meal for a month.

Im so grateful to everyone here for all the support and advice and im so glad my baby is back with me safe :snake: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:.

I can’t express enough my gratitude for everyone here so loving and supportive. Im glad im in the presence of like minded animal lovers who obviously care about others animals as their own.

6 Likes