Looking into a Hognose

Hi! Looking for tips on care for hoggies! Anything helps.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @rigatoni! The best place to look for a hoggie breeder is on the sales side of MM as this is the community side. There is a hognose icon to click on.

Good luck with your search! :blush:

6 Likes

I don’t have one but still have some tips lol

Make sure you get one feeding on unsented consistently. If you get a male don’t get scared if it does go off food. A lot are very good motivated, especially females, so if it decides to eat you, you can use the nose scale to pull up and get it off you. Hognoses are really weird so don’t be surprised if it eats the mouse backward or even sideways.

I just realized after typing this that all of this is about food. I think I am also food motivated :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I’m going to share something that I don’t think I’ve mentioned on the forums. I keep most of my hognoses humid. I use a coco fiber/paper towel substrate and keep it slightly damp (the paper towels are only for very small snakes). There’s no condensation, but it increases the humidity compared to aspen substrate. The breeder of my first hognose recommended it, and he is very well-respected in the local community. I haven’t had any problems with my hognoses, but I haven’t had them for very long and I have a small sample size.

Hognoses are a great snake and my favorite snake that I keep, you can’t go wrong with them.

8 Likes

Ok so I :100: % agree with you @erie-herps! Now this is just mho but hoggies in general need more humidity than most people think they do. It helps of course with shedding but here again imho a decent amount of humidity helps with feeding responses. I use aspen but I use a decent sized water bottle closer to the hot side than the cooler side……

So I have found heat/hot, humidity, bedding for burrowing, lots of clutter/stuff imho makes for a happy eating hoggie. Others may have different success stories but this is mine! :blush::+1:

7 Likes

Do they need a basking spot? This was very helpful btw thank you!!

6 Likes

I watched a video about them in the wild recently. If I’m not mistaken it was Dave Kauffman in Minnesota I think. What he found was that in the wild most snakes spend spring in the grasslands but might to the marsh when summer hits. Only a few females seem to stay on the plains all year.

4 Likes

That is extremely interesting! Just shows that @erie-herps (ahem and I) is on to something!!!:+1:

5 Likes

Yes most definitely. One hot basking spot! :+1::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thank you!!

So for set up, should I give opportunity to climb? Or will they ignore it?

How many hides?

3 Likes

Mine likes to burrow so I’m not sure about the climbing? He’s in a tub with a few inches of aspen. Two hides preferably and then I have some greenery and some empty toilet paper rolls in the tub as well. A piece of cork bark is good to hide/burrow under too.

3 Likes

Ok cool! Was just wondering if I should get him branches.

3 Likes

It won’t hurt if you want to put them in. Who knows! He might like to climb a bit! :blush:

2 Likes

For terrestrial species cork rounds and half rounds make great hides and climbing opportunity.

3 Likes

Got a whole bunch! Petco kinda stepped up their hardscape game. Found cork rounds and big branches

3 Likes

Somewhere I have a pace that sells them buy the huge box full

3 Likes

Ughhh I wish. Got the hoggie tho! Invested some change into a tri color for him. My brother is thrilled and sends me daily pictures of him and calls me every time he does something weird. Lol

Edit: he was a birthday gift for my younger brother. Forgot to mention that

4 Likes

His name is Guacamole! He lives in my bps old 40 gal.

7 Likes

You went for a tricolour, so although not actually a hoggie they still get called them. It’s Strange! But they’re amazing :face_holding_back_tears:

They’re my fav, I have 2 myself :black_heart:

I wouldn’t have on chips personally, when eating they can accidentally digest them also
Which can cause issues or kill said animals, many have lost animals over them accidentally eating it unfortunately. We use a mix of coco fibre and other bits, so they can burrow etc x

4 Likes

Oh weird! Ill have him change it out.

3 Likes