Looking Professional as a New Breeder

I feel like i post a ton on here, but y’all are quite simply TOO helpful :joy:

This coming season will hopefully be my first, so I want to get all the help i can! I’m specifically looking for opinions on looking as professional as possible, I know a new breeder can be a huge turn off for many. So, what would y’all suggest?

I’ve seen a bunch of different ads with different backgrounds. Would solid colours and shades work better in general, or would I want more naturalistic? Should I make a simple logo, maybe monotones, or should I go all out? What should I include in my store policy, and how specific should I get?

I have vague ideas for all of the above, but I’d like suggestions and ideas from all y’all. My pairing available is a Pastel Lesser Calico to a Fire.

And, as always, here’s a photo of a cute ball python as compensation :blush:

11 Likes

Solid background. You want the snake to be the thing on display, not have the background acting as a distraction to your animal

I would start simple and straight forward. Once you establish yourself more you can begin to add flair

Everything you think you are going to need. And as explicit as you possibly can be

Use your ToS to try and answer all the “upfront” questions someone might have. The fewer questions a buyer has to ask you, the easier you make it for them. In the same way, the clearer and more specific you are, the less likely there is for “grey areas” that can hurt you/the buyer

I recommend looking at the ToS of other established sellers and cribbing from them and then adapting it to best fit your personality
One thing I will also caution you: when you are first starting out, expect to not sell things easily. No one knows you so no one knows who you are and how you are. Ways to help that are being active on social media and here so that people can find you and see you are a real person, posting pics of your animals so people can see what you are working with and where your babies are coming from

I also strongly advocate against the fad of going crazy right out of the gate making a billion business cards and stickers and t-shirts and posters and all that frivolous stuff because that is a waste of money. Invest in a good camera and photo setup and proper shipping materials and worry about the “bling” later

12 Likes

I agree with everything stated above. As a buyer, I also look to see if animals are correctly labeled. I also like to see something in the description (pairing info or something unique about the animal?), although I won’t pass on an animal if it doesn’t have anything in the description. Double check your grammar and spelling in anything you’re writing that’s representing your business. Misspellings, especially of morph names, is a huge turn off to me.

6 Likes

You mean you do not want to buy a Mohavy Sinnaman het Peiblad?? (not a joke, I actually saw a snake with this label)

6 Likes

At shows, I often see okeetee corns with all sorts of weird misspellings. Okatee, oakatee, even oktee one time!

3 Likes

Solid advice from all. I absolutely agree with everything stated. I won’t restate everything though I’ll strongly second that correctly labeling animals is SO important.

I do want to add that your logo, from a marketing standpoint, should be clear and easy to recognize even when it’s tiny, like at the beginning of a post. Super intricate, artsy, colorful things are gorgeous and I love to look at them. They can tend to be confusing as logos. Stick to simple for this. Add the fun art stuff in other ways.

3 Likes

Ditto to all of the above. Just remember, everyone started out at one time. It is not insurmountable. Buyers, when dealing with a new vendor, are looking for every reason NOT to buy from you. Eliminate as many of those reasons as you can…

3 Likes

I would say patience and understanding. I have not been on MorphMarket for that long but I have experienced many times in the beginning buyers wanting to be able to trust that you (seller) aren’t setting up to scam and leave. I would say linking your social media helps as well entertaining reasonable picture request. Even after being on here a little while now and selling quite a few animals I still get people ghosting or low balling and I have to remind myself be patient there are far more good people in this hobby than ones trying to use or abuse it. Also I agree with everyone above, professional in your pictures and your grammar goes a long way.

Rusty
“Easy Day Morphs”

3 Likes