Looking to get a breeding pair of ball pythons! Need some help

Hey everyone! I apologize for my absense as of late. I am getting into breeding ball pythons, and looking for some advice. The pair I am planning on purchasing:

FEMALE Cinnamon Enchi ($75)
MALE Super pastel Leopard Yellow belly ($100)
Both hatched 2023

I think this pairing would yield some beautiful babies. Do you ball python experts think these prices are reasonable considering the genetics and age? I am purchasing from a small local breeder.

Thank you all for your help! Have a wonderful day.

4 Likes

you could always look into the female for now and consider a male later on.
you’ll be producing lower end hatchlings so they can be hard to sell. And this won’t happen for 2-3 years depending on when your female does decide to go.

Males are typically ready to breed at the end of the first year so you can wait and reconsider a higher end male.

The market is oversaturated and these are some of the most common genes. Getting a recessive of some sort in there may help.

8 Likes

The big issue with that is how common all those genes are. If you produce the all gene animal, chances are it is only going to go for around $300-$350. Most of the babies produced however are only going to be in the 50-150 dollar range and will be hard to sell. You would likely still have some of the babies for at least a couple months if not longer from when they are ready to go. I would invest into some recessive genes such as pied and desert ghost along with other genes.

6 Likes

current market here seems to be 150-180 on the all genes. And in 2 years still likely to stay there.

5 Likes

I was just going off the only one that was sold on MM.

You are probably right though and either way, definitely not ideal for an all gener.

3 Likes

You can’t produce a Pewter leopard enchi YB from this pairing because cinny and enchi are allelic. You only get pastel leopard yb cinny OR enchi for the all genes.
The good thing is the very least they can produce is a pastel cinny or pastel enchi.

6 Likes

I didn’t see that it was a cinnamon enchi :man_facepalming: I thought it was a single gene cinnamon for the female and all the other stuff in the male.

5 Likes

The prices are good for both. Can’t say what to get, other then get what you like. You will probably be stuck with them for a while and better off getting what you like to have. And I agree, you can get the male later if you don’t need it now as a pet. But prices could change, either to the better or worse in over a year.

3 Likes

I agree with the others, the prices seem reasonable and they might make babies that you find beautiful, but they likely won’t be super marketable or sellable, so I’d be prepared to keep what you produce. Those morphs are very common and affordable, so prices will be low and there will be a lot of them on the market.

6 Likes

Personally, I would avoid the male as it is Super Pastel. If it were just Pastel, then that would be fine as you may or may not hit Pastel. But with Super Pastel, everything will have Pastel, like it or not, and the market is heavily saturated with Pastel.

4 Likes

similar questions here, I have about 7 people lined up who want babies from pairings this year (hopefully) and I’m hoping to get

Special Het Pied x DH Albino Pied
Special Het Pied x Mystic Enchi
Fire x Firefly OD Mojave
Dinker DH DG Pied x Normal pos HRA
Firefly OD Mojave x Banana Pinstripe

I’m mostly looking to keep stuff for myself with some selling on the side if anybody shows interest, also does 200 for Firefly OD mojave, 100 for mystic enchi, and 100 for fire sound like good prices?

1 Like

all those sound good but I would lower the fire to $60.

2 Likes

Some of the pricing is going to change if you’re doing more local or online as well… depending on where you seem to have interest.
I’ve sold a couple of mojave enchi and special enchis for 80$ recently for local. Online MM prices vary.

1 Like