Lost power a few nights ago. Could use some advice

I lost power a few nights back and it’s been getting pretty cold at night for my area, low 40s. I’ve been checking temps every morning when I wake up and found my rack alarms going off for low temp.

I verified with my temp gun they all hit the 60s but the bottom tub got very cold at 60F. My RLT females body temp was at 60F, not sure how long? The temps have returned to normal 93/74F.
The day prior to the outage her belly was clouded and I noted she’s going to shed. Day after her eyes went cloudy. Here eyes have stayed clouded for what I feel is about 3 days now. Like deep shed clouded/blue. I’ve never paid much attention to the duration in the past. I’ve bumped up her humidity a bit. I’m tempted to soak her but want to see if this is a normal amount of time, first. I feel like it’s usually only a day or so of clouded eyes but maybe I’m wrong. I’m monitoring her close because I’m worried about that low body temp for x amount of time.

My house dipped to about the same but I’m really kicking myself for not having a fail safe in play. I’d love to hear if any of you have something to that end or suggestions so I can avoid this in the future.

I plan to insulate/finish my garage but now I’m also considering adding a natura gas wall heater of some kind to the room. I have a generator but didn’t hear the alarms from my room.

So far no wheezing or mucus. The rest of the rack was in the higher 60s and the snakes haven’t seemed to skip a beat.

Thanks for any advice,

Matt

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the power problem. Getting a gas powered heater might be a good idea, or maybe a pellet furnace.

I wouldn’t think the short duration of cold will be detrimental to any of their health, but keeping an eye on them never hurts.

5 Likes

That’s a relief to hear and hopefully the case! Thanks Randall

2 Likes

While it doesn’t get to cold here in Florida I’ve had experiences with no power and relatively cold nights. No issues short term so I concur with Randall. Hope all is well for you my friend.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear they faired well. Hopefully that’s the case for me as well. I appreciate it.

Hopefully I’ll see her eyes clear soon and she’ll shed in a few days.

2 Likes

This is not advice, but curiosity. You said you have a generator. Is it whole house or something small? If house, is it wired to kick on when power goes out but did not work?

2 Likes

No, unfortunately it’s not whole home type with an auto transfer switch. It’s a 7000/w onan so it can handle a large load but I have to be aware of the issue. It comes in handy for planned outages mostly.

I’m hunting the local listings for a natural gas wall heater in decent shape so the room is above 70F whether power outage or some other type stat/heater failure.

2 Likes

I am with Randall on this one i don’t think you have to worry. I live in NW Indiana and i have lost power a few times. The first time i only had a few boas. I put them in plastic tubs and keeped them next to my fireplace. Had no power for 4 days and 2 feet of snow. Now i have a generator that will power my whole house.

2 Likes

Thanks Tom. Her eyes cleared up yesterday so hopefully I’ll get a nice shed in a few days and some peace of mind. The rest look unaffected so I think you all are right.

That’s the way to go, specially anywhere that gets decent snowfall. I’ve thought about doing something similar but haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet. I have a large saltwater reef tank that can only survive a few hours without circulation. Luckily we don’t lose power for too long in my area, normally.

Thanks for all the reassurance everyone. Glad to know the momentary dip shouldn’t have a negative effect on them.

2 Likes

Terra held out on a shed for what seemed like forever, but ended up having a perfect shed and accepted food. Looks to be unaffected and very healthy. Thanks everyone,

Matt

2 Likes