Male biting female?

Hi guys, I had a male biting a female to hold her down I guess earlier and I was worried as I havent seen this behavior before. Is it normal for this to happen from time to time?

1 Like

For corns, it’s not very common, but it can happen.

3 Likes

Olivia’s right (as usual🙂). It does happen, but it’s rare. I’ve never seen it with my collection. I know that Kathy Love described it in her book, commenting that occasionally a male will “gently bite” a female, but that it shouldn’t be an aggressive or “chewing” bite. Idk if that helps.

2 Likes

Thank you and he just kind of grabbed a little ways behind her head and held on, he didnt chew on her or anything it just surprised me when I saw it.

2 Likes

That’s really interesting. You’re the first person other than Kathy Love from whom I’ve directly heard who has actually seen that happen.

2 Likes

If your curious that possible gold dust/amber tessera is the male that has been showing this behavior (his name is Romeo).

2 Likes

How about that! I’m curious, how did the female react when the, er, love bite happened?

1 Like

She thrashed around a bit, but eventually calmed down.

Interesting. I have read that males commonly bite females as a part of normal mating behavior with some of the rat snake species, as opposed to its occuring but rarely with corns. Now I’m wondering if he got his unusual coloration and his unusual breeding behavior handed down from an ultra ancestor. No possible way to know the latter, but you’ve certainly piqued my curiosity.

2 Likes

I was having the same thought!

3 Likes

I didnt think of this, good point!

1 Like