Male Burmese Python Size & Growth Rate

Hey guys, I’m a bit curious, how large (on average) do make Burmese python get and what is their growth rate like in your experience?

Thanks!

5 Likes

Burmese can get over 8 feet in one year.
They will get over 20 feet long. Males will be smaller than females. Most males will be 14 to 18 feet.

All the ones I have owned in the past were 12 to 15 feet long and 60 to 100 lbs. They were tame and easy for me to handle. But I have had snakes since I was 11 years old and I am now 58 years old.

All big constrictor (Boas, Burms, and Retics ) are snakes you need to respect and trust before you handle them. They all know when you are nervous or uneasy with them. This will make them nervous, and that’s when accidents will happen.

If you do get one, I suggest you buy a baby one. If you do get bit, it’s better to get bit by a baby than an adult.

This way, you and the baby Burmese will grow up together, and you will not be afraid of it when it’s an adult. And you will know its temperament and when to leave it alone. Also, the Burmese will associate your scent as a safe place.

Here is a link to my website page for Big Burmese Python.
http://www.mccarthyboas.com/BigSnake2.html

8 Likes

Wow @tommccarthy This is very interesting! I didn’t realize Burmese get that large! And the scent recognition doesn’t surprise me at all! :blush:

5 Likes

Love all those pics! Everyone should check that link out, it’s great! Thanks @tommccarthy

5 Likes

Amen to that @banereptiles!

4 Likes

Amazing collection of photographs @tommccarthy! It’s one thing to hear that a snake gets 18ft long, but another to see a picture of it!

5 Likes

@monty_pituophis Add pure muscle to that 18 ft and you’ve got one heck of a huge STRONG snake! lol! :grinning:

4 Likes