Male or female corn snake?

Hi, I have this one youn one I hatched out this year and I still can’t decide if it’s a male or a female, what do you guys think by just looking at the tail? I am guessing female because my male baby I hatched out has much redder tubes popping out and this one has these smaller white tubes that pop out but I feel like I can still see a blood vessel in it. Just let me know what you guys think, and thank you. I couldn’t get the camera to focus when I tried taking a picture of me popping him/her.
16410844541278238084613731502735|375x500

Is that a picture of you popping him/her? If so, that is not the correct way to do it. Hard to tell exactly what I’m looking at, but that’s probably the scent glands if they’re just small and white. Both sexes have scent glands.

1 Like

Sorry, no it’s not me popping her. I’m just holding out the tail to see if you could make a guess at its gender by how the tail tapers or what not.

1 Like

Oh okay, just wanted to make sure! :slight_smile: It’s hard to make an educated guess at this size, but I would lean slightly female for this one. You could always send a bit of shed to Rare Genetics to confirm. Or if you have another breeder nearby, you could ask if they could double check your popping. Or if you can take a very clear photo of the entire underside of the tail, we can try a subcaudal scale count. This picture is almost good enough for that, but the end of the tail tips away from the camera a bit.

1 Like

This is the best picture I could get, the second pic

ture is my males tail for comparison.

Well, I counted 70 pairs, so unfortunately that won’t really help you! Usually 59-70 is considered female and 70+ is considered male. It’s not a 100% reliable method though! The next time he or she sheds, take a very fine tip sharpie and carefully mark and count the pairs of subcaudal scales and let me know what number you get. My count might be off by a few since some of the areas are a bit out of focus.

1 Like