Male Royal weight

Wondering what everyone male weighs really? I have never weighed Hideyoshi since I’ve had him. He’s 2 this month. Just decided I would weigh him,
My boy ate last night and full belly weight is 1397, will weigh him again once he has pooped. Apparently he’s shed too within last couple days.

So is that ‘ok’?
To be honest I think he may be a chunk…

1 Like

Picture of him would make it easier to tell body condition… weight and age alone done matter. As a whole you want a more rounders triangle shape to the body… to round is chunky and straight triangle would be thin.

3 Likes

If he’s not obviously overweight than it’s fine I would think; I have a 4 yr. old male and he weighs 750g even though he eats weekly but then I have another yr and a half old male who is already nearly 650g.

1 Like

Ok I’ll say ‘overweight’ by the chart… dammit…

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

Sorry for them all :joy:

3 Likes

Looks like you had a full on photoshoot :joy:

1 Like

Had to try for multiple angles of the fatty :joy:

Maybe weekly feedings should stop… or smaller rats each week… :thinking:

2 Likes

You could go for smaller rats every 2 weeks or the same size rat once a month given his age and size. Despite popular belief, adult snakes don’t need food every week. You could also fast him until he is thinner, as it won’t hurt him. Here is a similar chart for weight on BPs.

liam-jo-wulfe

3 Likes

His rats are medium/large? I think. They’re usually 90-110 or 120g I think it is.
But These ones are 150g.
My fault as think I asked for large instead of medium when I went to get them! So got given those instead of the usual ones I get him…

So assuming too much, even though he’s enjoyed them :sweat_smile:
He had his last one last night so I’ll go back down a size.

Oh god I made him a porker didn’t i…
He’s still the nice triangle shape, but maybe the overweight one I’d say… He’s a bit chubby as you can see…

1 Like

You can still feed the larger prey but spread it out further… like every 3-4 weeks… or go smaller and do like a small every 1-2 weeks… I feed all adults smalls every 1-2 weeks.

3 Likes

He gets fed every Saturday, so if I go small would that be ok, do you think he could lose a few pounds? :joy:

I’m not sure he’s be very happy with me missing completely, he’s not stupid, his head is out Saturday waiting for that meal! Infact he’s out from Friday night searching the pig!

Right I need to get more this week so I’ll get smaller ones! He best eat them as I swear he shoves his nose up as anything too small :woman_facepalming:t2:

I don’t why this made me laugh so hard.

As much as people complain about feeding strikes in ball pythons, it’s also shockingly easy to make them chunky. I had this same realization with two of my females this spring because i was using them as garbage disposals for all the rats my males were refusing.

I would just space out his feedings a bit more (maybe ever 2 weeks?), and try not to give into the begging

3 Likes

See, snakes beg for food. Kai just sits in front of the door of his enclosure for a month watching me when I come in and even putting his head on the lip of his tank. :joy:.