Male sand boas not eating

I have several sand boas that I’m planning on breeding next year, but this year the females don’t have the size they need. They all have the same set-up, same heat, etc. My females are eating well, but most of the males aren’t eating. Do sand boa males go off eating during the breeding season? Is there any way to encourage them to eat, or just wait them out? They all appear healthy and haven’t lost weight (so far).

1 Like

Males tend to be more finicky eaters. @westridge breeds sand boas so she could possibly share some tricks to get the eating.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I have one that’s always been sort of finicky, but the others were really good eaters until now.

1 Like

Yeah it seems as if males in many different species of snake are finicky more than females for whatever reason. My guess on it would have to be that a female knows that she needs to get up to size to breed where as a male can breed when much smaller compared to the female.

2 Likes

Plus a male’s main objective in life is to mate

1 Like

That’s sort of what I was thinking. Maybe they’re picking up on the females, so hopefully things will get back to normal soon? I’m thinking the females are capable to breed at a smaller size, it’s just healthy for them, but they may still be sending out signals to the males. I would move them to another room but that’s not really an option.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry to much about it as long as he doesn’t start losing alot of weight. I have also noticed that with my male KSBs, once he is out of “breeding mode” he should go back on food. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s reassuring to know that others have the same issue. Good to have my suspicions confirmed, and I won’t worry (too much) now. I’ll keep checking weights and hope they start eating again soon.

2 Likes

I’ve had success with keeping picky eaters at slightly higher temps, and feeding males less frequently than females (once every 10-14 days, as opposed to once every 7 for females).

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll definitely give it a try.

1 Like