Male Super Banana - Sex Ratios in Offspring

So, a question popped up in my head.

I understand that banana/coral glows are a sex-linked mutation, and that:

• Male maker male bananas will produce mostly male bananas
  • Female maker male bananas will produce mostly female bananas
  • Sometimes a “crossover event” can happen, and a female is then produced from a male maker and vice versa (though this is a fairly rare occurrence)
  • Male bananas produced from a female banana will be female makers
  • Females produce a 50/50 ratio of male and female bananas since the banana is on the X chromosome

So, my question was regarding a super banana.
Would a super banana male be a male maker or a female maker?
I feel like since they would be neither or both, and since they have banana on both the X and Y chromosomes, they would pass on banana just like a female would, and have a 50/50 sex ratio of banana offspring.

It might be a stupid question and have an obvious answer, but I didn’t immediately find anything about super bananas in particular through a Google search so I thought I’d start a thread on it.

2 Likes

A male Super Banana is both a male maker and a female maker. He would have 50% male maker banana males, and 50% banana females. He would not produce any normals of either sex, nor would he produce any female maker banana males.

5 Likes

Yes, ^ this is correct!

4 Likes

That was my assumption, thank you!

So, let’s go a little deeper here…
What happens with these pairings?

• Male maker banana x female super banana
  • Female maker banana x female super banana
  • A male super banana to a female banana would still produce a 50/50 sex ratio, I’d assume.

The main reason I’m actually asking these questions is to make sure I have my breeding system written correctly for an ARPG I’m working on that’s based mostly around snakes and their genetics.

Gonna go a bit off topic here to better explain what I’m talking about:

Summary

ARPG in this sense stands for “Art Roleplaying Game” — the specific ARPG I’m working on has a species called Seragon. They’re basically snakes with legs and dragon-like characteristics.

The way you play an ARPG is to draw or write about your Seragon characters completing certain activities and/or quests to earn loot, like in an RPG game.
ARPGs also typically have a breeding aspect, and is the main way you obtain more of the species. Seragon is no different.

Here’s the blank template for the Regius, our only available subspecies at the moment (also I did the art and background for all of these!):

And a couple of them, designed:

This one is a normal type with avian wings

This one is an “albino” with fur (in this ARPG the “albino” you see in real life ball pythons is called amelanistic)

Bananas are one of the morphs available for these guys, so I want to be sure when people “breed” their banana Seragon that I’m using the RNG correctly in determining the sex ratios of the “babies” that are produced.

2 Likes

The best way to figure this out is with a Punnett square

So your first one - male maker banana x female super banana

Female maker banana x female super banana

Basically just keep track of which chromosomes have the “banana” and then map out what they will be able to pass off to offspring

3 Likes

Ah yes, the Punnett square. That probably would have been easier but having a thread for others to look at in the future is also beneficial.

Some people (like me) wouldn’t think to use a Punnett square to figure out these more complicated genetic outcomes :rofl:

1 Like

It’s literally been drilled into me at this point, anytime I would ever ask my PI any questions about a fly cross his answer was always “go draw it out and then we’ll talk”. It’s the whole give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish scenario :joy:

3 Likes

That’s fair! :joy:

I remember learning about them in middle school and thinking to myself “nah I’ll never use these when I’m an adult”
… jokes on me for getting into breeding animals :crazy_face:

Yet they’re one of the only things I actually remembered from my time in school, so I should probably use them more lol

2 Likes

I first learned about Punnet squares as they pertained to different colors of flowers. Most of the genes were co-dominant, so I understood the concept before the Pastel BP was discovered.

2 Likes

Same here with the punnet square situation. I forgot about them until I started getting into snakes, and now I’ve relearned the basics and am going to try learning how to do multigene punnet squares.

1 Like

Hello! Quick question. I know the basics that a male produced from a female will be a female maker, and males produced from female makers are male makers. But what about males produced from a super banana. Are they male makers, female makers, or will produce 50/50?

2 Likes

@patriotballs
↓😉

1 Like

Thanks. I must have over looked that.

I had just woke up when that question popped in my head and I skimmed over the posts without having coffee first.

2 Likes