Marble eye trait?

I was hoping someone could help identify if this is in fact the marble eye trait. History of the animal in question is I acquired the female about 6 months ago. The pairing was Diablo x tremper albino. The Leo in question is a visual albino but you can see in the pic that it has snake eyes on both sides. I am unsure if the other parent was het eclipse. The eyes would be red though if it was tremper eclipse visual known as a RAPTOR right? Thoughts comments and questions are appreciated

1 Like

I know very little about Marble Eyes, but I think it’s a lot more likely that you have a Raptor (Eclipse + Tremper) than Marble Eyes. Marble Eyes are in high demand and not very common, whereas Eclipse is everywhere. I can’t really tell- does she have any white piebalding on legs/nose/head/tail? I can’t reliably recognize Marble Eyes, and I’m not sure if Marble Eyes can be snake-eyed, maybe @westridge @erie-herps @winecountrygeckos @azoreptiles could help? There are other folks on here who might know but I’m blanking on their names. :woman_facepalming:

Of course, since you don’t know her genetic background, it’s inadvisable to breed her without proving her out extensively, which would be tough if you want to rule in/out Marble Eyes, especially because she’s female. There’s also the dubious morality of potentially combining ocular mutation morphs, which is a really bad idea. Albino + Eclipse eyes are not bright red- they are a deep/dark burgundy. If you add Enigma, that is when you can get the bright red eyes.

Here’s a post I made about that.

3 Likes

That is not a marble-eye. It is an eclipse.

4 Likes

I agree with @westridge that it is an eclipse rather than marble eye.

3 Likes

Its eclipse. Also eclipse and the red eyes are common in Raptors.
A quick edit to my post: I looked at page 95 of Ron Trempers book Leopard Geckos the Next Generation(I have the 2nd edition from 2020). It talks about the Marble eye. Marble eye is also in Raptors and its hard to tell the difference between the 2. So its something to think about and pounder.

4 Likes

Ok. I have other Leo that are just eclipse and others that are tremper+eclipse. The eyes are red. I do not have any with enigma that I know of. I picked her up because of her Diablo genetic history not realizing her snake eyes that are black in color instead of red like it should be with tremper+eclipse. I am hoping it’s not marble eye because I don’t want to mix eye mutations.

1 Like

No piebald areas on her @mblaney. If I remember right @winecountrygeckos, marble eye was found in the tremper line and they selectively bred it in to the other albino lines. I just have never seen a tremper+eclipse with black snake eyes. I have always seen red and i didn’t know what it was.

1 Like

@westridge I questioned it because of the black color and the lack or red veining that is typically present in traditional tremper eyes or traditional tremper snake eye.

1 Like

The book does state it showed up in the Tremper line. If you have that book, there are some pictures
I usually don’t mess with genes I’m not familiar with. But I have a leopard gecko called a Solar flare. Apparently its a Raptor line. I had to ask a good friend about that morph just because I never heard of it.

3 Likes

This morning I was doing more reading i n my Leopard Gecko Morphs by Ron Tremper book. To sum up about 12 pages unless you have accurate records, you won’t know if its Marble eye or Eclipse.

4 Likes

I appreciate all the responses. Thanks guys. I will be thinking about how to proceed with her in the future.

2 Likes