Maybe hatching isnt for me

Have you opened and got him/her out? If you’ve cut it I’d open fully and take him/her out, not leave cut and wait.

1 Like

How is s/he?

1 Like

I didnt know to do that and I’m at work but will do it as soon as I get home in a few minutes

Okay I did what you said but my next question is how early do I cut I honestly thought you only did that with snake eggs because I’m at 56 days with the next clutch

Is it ok?
There should never be a need to cut. In this case you needed too as clearly they weren’t ok.
I only ever cut if a problem I notice. For instance eggs too tough, which may be the case with yours since they’ve not been able to get out themselves.
I have cresties so they don’t tend to sink, I’ve had 1 clutch do this which I found in the viv and wasn’t much humidity where she’d laid but luckily managed to save.
Defo change how you incubate too I would since that’s 4th you’ve lost now.
Candle the 56 day ones, are they all black? Moving about?

So I’ve just moved my incubator to a completely different location in my house moved the shelf up the 56 day egg is dark but not sure about movement ( I’m super nervous about handling) the other egg seems like it didnt make it but going to wait until morning

Did you take the Leo out of the egg you cut? It’s not like a snake so if you cut it you need to get it out not leave it, if it’s not come out itself then I’m assuming he/she didn’t make it…

I’d honestly use substrate and put eggs directly in it since what you’ve got isn’t working for you and I don’t want you to lose any more babies…
56 days I think is ok but with eggs I have found you can usually feel or atsleast sometimes see some movement when handling and candling, atleast I do with the cresties.
If completely black I’d assume not long left to go with the temps etc. Just keep an eye. Are the eggs at day 56 hard/tough like other, or ‘soft/ slightly squishy’ as if they can’t get out themselves being too tough you may have another cut jobby on your hands so they too don’t suffocate…

1 Like

I have checked the egg is firm but pliable I moved it to a different container with different substrate

And other baby you cut?

Didnt make it I don’t know whats going on the first three hatched just fine no problem and now that’s all I’m have this makes three babies now and its upsetting and frustrating

Can you cut an egg too early and if I cut an egg to assist do I leave it to let it come out on its own or take it out all together???

1 Like

If you cut an egg too early then you risk forcing the gecko out too early which can cause major damage and shorten their lifespan. Here is a good read about the pros and cons of cutting. Cutting snake eggs it’s best to leave them but in this situation with geckos it’s best to take them out entirely to make sure that they survive.

1 Like

If you cut you need to get him/her out.
And you don’t want to cut early unless fully formed, which you won’t know…
usually with cresties eggs when all ‘black’ they’re about to come out any day.
Not sure how it is with Leo’s, my fat tails haven’t bred for me yet. So unsure if the same with them also.

1 Like

Given how tightly packed the egg will be, I’m not sure cutting is a good idea. The risk of harm is very high, if there is a viable fetus. Personally, I would stop moving it around, stop even opening the incubation container, double check the temperature in the incubator with a calibrated temp probe or temp gun (or several), and leave it alone until 90 days. You are incubating at the very lowest end of the spectrum, and eggs can take up to 90 days to hatch.

Edit: Ideally check the humidity in the closed container if you have a tiny hygrometer that will fit with the lid closed.

4 Likes

What should the humidity be inside the container?

That’s depends on who you ask. I am not a huge breeder, but I’ve gone with 2 strategies. Both worked well for me.

When I was first breeding, I mixed the perlite I was using with water at a set ratio (THIS is the page I used as a reference), then made sure that the humidity in the container didn’t change.

Recently, I’ve been using those egg-suspension style incubation boxes. With those, so long as the egg has no direct contact with the moist substrate and there is no water condensation droplets on or near the egg(s), I keep the humidity very high. I’m not breeding any leos this year but I am pretty sure I did well by maintaining it over 70%.

2 Likes

It hasn’t gotten better but hasn’t gotten worse either I’m at day 75 with this egg the other egg is completely fine

Going through a similar saga with corn snakes, they really should have hatched by now. Hatched hundreds or more corns before, not sure what’s up with this one clutch, terrified that I have eight stillborns that are fully developed…it has happened before, but not with corn snakes. Sigh.

If this is with regards to a previous post, it might be wiser to put this information in an update to that post, so people who were already reading it will be able to follow along with these new developments.

4 Likes

I think it belongs over here:

3 Likes