Mazuri powder

Hi. So I am curious if all the leftover powder can be used or not. I tried Google, but come up empty handed. Not sure if you can make more pellets from it

1 Like

I don’t think it would be safe to try unless you know what you’re doing. You don’t want any potentially harmful ingredients building up in the bodies of the prey you feed your reptiles.

1 Like

I dont use Mazuri as its difficult to acquire up here, but if you’re willing to take the time I’ve found that I can reconstitute rat pellet powder into a sort of brownie. Mix with water in a 5:3 powder to water ratio, line a Pyrex baking tray with aluminum foil and pack down the mixture as much as you can. Cut some lines down to the foil with a knife to your desired size and shape, I go for about 2x2 inches. Bake for about 2 hours at 250 degrees. Put a wire rack above the dish, then flip over and remove the foil. Dry and cool until room temperature. Store in freezer, exposing to air, until needed.

Freezing is important. If you don’t use these within a couple days they will rapidly mold due to water content. They will be soft and the rodents love to eat them. I’ve also tried using a bit of flour, not very much maybe 10% by volume to help keep the brownies from crumbling.

I wouldn’t say this is cost effective for your time, it’s quite a bit of work, and I’ll likely abandon doing this once I have more breeder rodent stock and production is increased.

4 Likes

Its the same ingredients in the pellets just the small particles that break off during shilling and handling. Yes its safe id think. I use to use mine to feed my crickets with.

I tried the mazuri brownie recipe, my asf love it. Only add enough water to make it clump when pressed together (like a graham cracker pie crust). Bake at a low temp 1-2 hours (250°).

7 Likes

Glad it worked out! For small batches I think it’s a nice way of saving a few dollars here or there. Depends on how crumbly your pellets are.

2 Likes

Another breeder I asked told me they mix with pb then bake and use it as a treat. This will help with making every gram count lol. Now if I can get my asfs to stop turning the food into substrate everytime I clean their bins…

3 Likes

I just dump the powder where I put there food and they eat it as well. Also good to use for weanlings. I put it in a little tray and let them get a taste for the Mazuri.

1 Like