MBK genetics?

Hey all, new here and still getting used to the forums. I have a question in regards to breeding MBKs and how their genetics play out with other colubrid morphs, dominant vs recessive genes, etc - the closest I’ve found is a site saying that a MBK x Corn = Black JungleCorn.

Specifically, I’m interested in how the all-black genes of MBKs would play out with something all white such as a Snow / Leucistic. Unfortunately the MM genetic calculator fails to have MBKs listed at all.

I would appreciate any info there is to be had.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Are you meaning if you cross an MBK with a Snow/Leucistic non-MBK? The answer is the Snow/Leucistic wouldn’t do anything in a single generation, as not only are those genes recessive, but likely incompatible between species. You’d just get the blend of Kingsnake + wild type of whichever other colubrid species you breed it with.

3 Likes

Aha! That makes sense, thank you!

2 Likes

You’re welcome! Obviously it’s a bit more complex overall, and there are things like allelic genes that may exist, but the most basic answer is that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Jess covered the first key point but completing the answer, a leucistic (hybrid) MBK would still be an all-white animal. Leucism, as a phenotype, is dominant to all other pigmentations

1 Like

Thank you very much @t_h_wyman for using your knowledge to help complete my lack! I’ll note this little tidbit down.

1 Like

Great thing about this place, we all build off each other :+1:t4: :+1:t4:

1 Like