Meet the Frogs

Just some pics of my frogs! Do they normally get brighter in color after handling? I take them out to feed them. That way I can monitor who is eating and how much. Hands are thoroughly rinsed.

Pip after and before

Squeak after and before

George after and before

Also! Stay tuned for their 33 gallon paludarium build! Just waiting on the tank and 2 live plants to arrive.

13 Likes

Also, if the pictures are any help, im not sure of gender on any of these. Ive heard someone croaking very quietly, so I know at least one may be male. They are young, not sure of exact age.

5 Likes

Those guys are adorable! When you get everything set up but sure and post froggy pictures! :frog::frog::frog:

6 Likes

I have NO idea if it applies to frogs, but a lot of reptiles, especially lizards, can fire up or down their colors depending on stress/stimulation levels, so if frogs can do it too it could mean feeding riles them up, handling is stressful, any number of things.

9 Likes

I’m not sure about your question but i am gonna have to write your little guys there up for exceeding recommended levels of cuteness.

8 Likes

Yup! Guilty as charged! @rigatoni (Sarah) ! :frog::frog::frog::joy:

5 Likes

I literally cry every time i see them theyre so cute!!! Esp when theyre doing the little loaf thing

5 Likes

Loaf thing… like cats do???

5 Likes

Frogs can change colour when stressed.
Also I know many with these frogs, groups of them living together and or breeding and none take the frog out to eat. It shouldn’t be done! You should put food in the viv and leave them be, but more than enough in and you’ll never have an issue.
Also your hands aren’t wet in photos, they’re dry, so you shouldn’t be handling at all…

5 Likes

Theyre wet lol! I rinsed off everyone after eating cause they peed on me. And ok! Ill definitely feed them in the enclosure now. I just worry any uneaten crickets will bite them.

3 Likes

Yes exactly

3 Likes

I also just bought gloves, so ill just handle them with those from now on

3 Likes

I need every picture of that asap.

Have you tried using tongs on the bugs and feeding them in the enclosure like that? It would be harder to loose bugs in there like that, wouldn’t it?

I would be afraid of bugs being left in there too. A cricket can do some serious damage… :persevere:

2 Likes

Tank arrives tomorrow! Step by step will be posted >:) first time building a paludarium.

Also, I have tried tongs. With three froggies, making sure someone doesnt escape and plop on the floor is like babysitting 3 toddlers hyped on candy. Hopefully it will be easier with a front opening enclosure. Theyre in a smaller tank, when I got them they were just the size of 2 nickels. Lol

2 Likes

:joy: What a nightmare, that’s a really good comparison tho! I may know a bit about what that’s like…

Hopefully when you do get it the front opening enclosure does help with that though! I’ve seen people have semi- decent success with tong feeding adults like that in those setups.

3 Likes

I forget her handle, but there’s a keeper on YT and tiktok with I think 4 dumpies and every time she feeds them they all end up on her hands trying to eat her fingers and her shirt sleeves :joy: :sob: :joy:

3 Likes

Exactly :rofl::rofl: they just want to escape and disappear or have your fingers for dinner

And obviously… these fatties dont need fingers for dinner

3 Likes

I’ve seen her too, i think that’s who i was initially thinking of! Her frogs are such chaos.

2 Likes

Found her

1 Like

I hand feed my 3. They are… definitely chaotic lol. Feed one and god forbid you catch the attention of the other 2. I’ve had 2 frogs latched onto 2 separate fingers at some point.

Mine like to change colors around dusk. They crawl out from under the leaves in varying shades of dark blue and purple. Once they’re out, they’ll lighten up to thier typical greenish blues.

Sexing them is pretty straight forward once they’re large enough. Males will get a dark brown pad on their thumb area. And they’re typically smaller than the females.

3 Likes