Melody in the snake room

Kinda a weird subject but I love music and listening to it in my snake room.
What kinds of music do you all enjoy to listen to while cleaning or just handling the reptiles?
Do you have a specific genre you
listen to or a specific artist? Have you found your reptiles react to a certain kind of music?

For me, Queens of the Stone Age is a constant in my snake room. Lately I’ve mixed it up with Man Man, Moody Blues, Widespread Panic and Eminem.
I’ve surprisingly found that when I listen to System of a Down on my stereo system, my snakes seem to be a little more laid back lol. I think it’s a coincidence but any other experiences I’d love to hear.

6 Likes

i listen to sirius xm turbo (90’s-2000 alternative rock) in my snake room. Music seems to make things go by faster and keeps things up beat. :wink:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised by any means at all if snakes liked the melody or pace of music. I have read studies done on plants and it is shown that plants grow slightly faster when jazz or classical music is played and are just all around slightly healthier than those who grow while music is not present. For me personally I like listening to rap or alternative while working on my snakes but I will also listen to podcast from time to time on various topics and if I remember correctly I read somewhere that a larger scale breeder will play smooth jazz or classical in his snake room the day before and day of feeding and he generally gets a better feeding response.

2 Likes

That’s interesting, i wonder if that is actually true. May have to try it one day just for fun.

4 Likes

That is interesting. I would assume that would have been a BP breeder?

1 Like

Here in the UK we have a genre of music called grime. It’s a very gritty and pain fueled mixture of rap and garage. It’s definitely not for everyone but it is a growing scene, especially in the past 10 years. A few artists I listen to near daily in the snake room are Meekz, Bugzy Malone and Aitch (all of who have came from Manchester).

But if I can’t be bothered finding something then I’ll happily listen to anything that’s on the radio.

I wonder if @akmorphs can still speak to Penney and get her out of her hide :yum:

I haven’t ever noticed a change in behaviour dependant on the music but im interested in whether certain frequencies get their attention.

2 Likes

Right now my “snake room” has one snake, but we listen to Christian, Maroon 5, and rock

2 Likes

I swear my spotted python Jadzia enjoys Imagine Dragons, especially “Thunder”, whenever it plays on the sound bar. She also loves watching TV, she slithers out of her hide and props up her chin on a branch!

3 Likes

Yeah a BP breeder that has been around for awhile. I’ll try to find where I read it and who it was in particular.

2 Likes

It can get pretty heavy here. But just about everything gets played aside from Country. I never was much for it.

1 Like

Right on Tom! I’ll have to look into that style of music, I’ve never heard of grime. I’m a fan of rap and garage style, so that’s definitely interesting. Cool thanks man!

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool, I wonder how long they tested using Jazz for feeding responses. I wish I had more BP, I love Jazz and would try that for sure!

1 Like

If I had a whole breeding operation I would try that but I think if you have only a few animals there isn’t enough to get a general consensus on if it works or not. The peak of my collection was in the 20’s so I think to have a big enough collection you would need maybe 20 plus. I’ve never tried it personally so maybe I’m wrong on the needed collection size lol.

Just thought of this but thought it’d be cool for all of us who have ball pythons or other snakes to try it and we all vote on a poll after a certain amount of time. Sort of like a group forum experiment.

2 Likes

I like that idea. Definitely be cool to see if Jazz has any affect.
I’m not sure how much I could help, my retics will eat anything. Day or night, hot or cold prey, doesn’t matter :joy:.

3 Likes

I have speakers in my snake rooms. Never noticed any changes in the snakes behavior but it makes working in them alot more enjoyable for me. I listen to a mix of rap and metal

2 Likes

Not sure if she falls in the “grime” genre, but I’m a huge fan of Meg Lee Chin. I only wish she created more of her own stuff. And, our snake never complains!

3 Likes

I’ve just gave her a quick listen too and she seems more of a dark electric/techno artist.

Here is a example if you fancy diving into the genre.

Bits of a fun side story.
The artist that made that song lives a stone throw away from me and I got a call from him a few months back asking to use my snakes in his music video. I turned up at the venue they were filming at with 2 boas and 2 pythons and the snakes had a little photo shoot and few videos taken of them slithering around a table full of props. I spent the day there meeting all the production team and showing off the snakes.
The snakes ended up on around 15 different people’s Instagram stories and it was one of the best days Ive had in a while. There was also free cake and sandwiches :metal::joy:.

5 Likes

That’s pretty good music. A lot different from the US style of rap, more laidback and mellow. I like that a lot, I’ll have to look into that genre more. Thank you Tom :grin:.

That’s pretty freakin awesome man! Can’t ever go wrong with free sandwiches and cake :joy:.
That’s a dream of mine to use my snakes in a music related theme. I’ve always wanted to reach out to Joshua Homme(greatest artist ever not up for debate :joy:) and try to convince him to use my snakes in some videos.
One can dream right.

3 Likes

Wow that’s awsome! If you are able to definitely link us to the music video or the photoshoot of your slithery children! And free sandwiches are the best sandwiches lol.

2 Likes