Merulanella sp. “Red Diablo”

One of the most beautiful isopods! Hopefully more babies soon.

9 Likes

I actually just saw these a couple weeks ago. Happy they are becoming available in the States :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those are so beautiful! :heart_eyes: Could you tell me a bit more about these guys? I’m not a huge isopod person.

1 Like

They are definitely amazing. Not sure I have the budget for these guys yet though :slight_smile: Maybe in a couple years when they are only like, $50 each. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How much are they now? And by each, do you mean 50 dollars each for each isopod or 50 dollars each for each container of isopods?

beautiful!

Wouldn’t that be a dream…

Nope, these guys are just barely being introduced into the US hobby. I am seeing this species go for about $100 each bug. I really can’t bring myself to purchase them yet… :rofl:

1 Like

Man! That’s crazy! How many are in a container normally? So like, how many hundreds or thousands of dollars would you be spending if you bought some?

Normally with these rarer species packs of 5 are most common. That would be $500 like seen on isopod.com.

• Overnight shipping :slight_smile:
1 Like

Hopefully some good isopod breeders start working with these more and bring the price down a bit.

2 Likes

Yep. Most of the time they become pretty inexpensive after a few years of them becoming more common like Zebra isopods did. New mutations of fast-producing species also have the same effect and usually die down within 2 years or so… Although, some slower-breeding species do tend to stay up in price no matter what so it will be cool to see. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe in order to maintain a balance in the isopod hobby there does need to be the common/inexpensive species, but for the rare species to also stay a bit more expensive. Just the way it is :slight_smile:

If the price goes down in the future and it’s easier to acquire these, then I may get some, but for now, I’m gonna leave these for the more experienced and dedicated isopod breeders. I don’t want to take way from the market or get some isopods that could have gone to someone that would be able to produce a lot of them.

1 Like

I agree. I also don’t feel ready for a super huge investment like this with the very high chance I would miss a key requirement for their care. :slight_smile: Would be nice to have some of these in the future once there is more info on them though. :slight_smile:

1 Like