Milk Snake not eating

Five month old male Pueblan Milk Snake. Ate great for the first month I had him, went into his first shed with me & had trouble cleanly getting all skin off. Eventually got all skin off but hasn’t eaten since the shed started. Going on two months without feeding now and he is inactive but appears well otherwise. I’m wondering if he has possibly gone into hibernation even though all environmental conditions remain consistent. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

What are the temperatures and humidity of the enclosure?

2 Likes

Temp inside runs around 81 on the warm side & 78 on the cooler side. In his hides, it’s 77 on the cool side & right around 80 on the hot side. Humidity is right around 52%.

2 Likes

Update to this: After 3.5, almost 4 months of not eating, my Milk was starting to get noticeably thinner. I continued to attempt a feed every week and FINALLY, last Sunday, he sloooooowly struck at a thawed pinkie & got it down almost 20 minutes later. Attempted another feed tonight & he again took it slowly & eventually got it down. I believe it’s safe to say he was in a sort of hibernation for the past three to four months & he’s now slowly coming out of it. Never, ever had another snake do this so it’s been a learning experience for sure. Hoping he gets back on a steady feed schedule & starts to beef up!

4 Likes

I wonder if you had him near an outside window? Even though the temps stayed the same, he might have been triggered by the angle of the sun, and daylight hours…?

1 Like

Wasn’t directly near a window, about 10 yards away from an eastern facing window. Would only get an hour or so of indirect morning sun. Have a High White California King in the same location & she didn’t miss a beat with eating, although Kings rarely do. Really odd behavior but he seems to be back to his “normal” self for now. Hoping he stays that way cuz I love his personality & colors. Time will tell!

1 Like