Mite treatments

Hi morphmarket community, my ball python has mites! (A lot of mites) He’s a baby ball python, about 160 grams. He recently shed, so he got a lot more black spots since he’s a banana, so it’s kind of hard to tell. There were a lot of mites crawling on him, so I knew their had to be a lot of big ones under the scales. Does anyone have any mite treatments?

If you don’t already keep him quarantined from your other pets and keep him in a quarantine enclosure (small, minimalist enclosure with a plastic or disposable hide and paper towel substrate). I’ve heard good things about prevent-a-mite and if used according to the instructions it’s safe to use.

Got him in it right when I say you said that haha. Can I buy that locally or only online?

1 Like

It looks good, it would also be a good idea to add a water dish in there large enough for him to soak in. You would typically buy it online unless you get lucky and a supplier at a local store or expo has it.

1 Like

Ok, I added a water dish. How should I heat him? I’ll order it online then!

I buy Provent-a-Mite directly from Pro Products for the best price. A local reptile store probably won’t have it but it’s worth a try, although the price will be very high. I’d recommend always having an extra can on hand in case you end up buying a new reptile spur of the moment. It’s very important to follow the directions exactly and ask for help if you are unsure, since toxic substances such as this can cause serious problems if used incorrectly. One tip: never use more than one type of chemical on a single animal/enclosure, because of the possibility of an unexpected chemical reaction.

2 Likes

I’ll have to see what kind of pricing I can get. Thanks I won’t use more than one!

I have used this product several times successfully, so feel free to reach out if you need help

1 Like

I would use heat tape or a heat pad on a thermostat to avoid burns. The total area of the heating element shouldn’t take up more than 1/3 of the enclosure.

1 Like

Great thanks so much!!

2 Likes