Mold in bio active; should I be concerned?

Thoughts on this? Noticed it in my isopod colony a few days ago, thought it was maybe from overwatering, gave them some more springtails in hopes of clearing it up; and then noticed it’s having an outbreak in multiple spots of my bioactive enclosure as well…. Google seems to call it “flower pot mold” or “snowball mold” can I get rid of it? Do I need to be concerned?

2 Likes

Are these enclosures fairly newly setup? I notice small amounts of mold occasionally popping up in new bioactive setups as they work toward getting fully established. If this is the same thing you’re facing, I’ve found some success by slightly lowering moisture and maintaining a healthy springtail population.

3 Likes

I had something kinda similar happen in my toad tank but I added a ton more springtails and it is almost cleared up.

Now I just have to deal with what ever this is :man_facepalming:

Bonus pic of Spotify :wink:

3 Likes

I also have some of this in two of my isopod tubs but it doesn’t seem to be affecting them :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Enclosures are all 6+ months old. Isopods maybe 5 months. Just sprang up out of nowhere. Do springtails die off at a certain temp? I’ve had issues keeping that room under control (it’s gotten 87 or so for brief spurts in there, second floor room and gets warm during the day, I’m home to open the door and air it out though).

I noticed it popped up after it seemed like I had more moisture than I usually did in the enclosure, so that would add up.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that higher than 80 degrees F can lower production in many springtail species, but I doubt it would have too huge of an impact on an established population if only exposed for brief periods to higher temps like you mentioned. I would still aim for an ambient temp in the 70s F. In this instance, I would probably lower moisture and/or increase airflow in the enclosure. With that being said, I wouldn’t be terribly concerned at this point but can be cause for concern if it drastically increases in size and takes over.

3 Likes

I have read that mold is a good sign in a bioactive environment meaning that everything is cultivated properly and that is what the springtails feast on which is why they are added to the mix in the first place?

@ghoulishcresties has bioactive everything so she should be able to shed some light…….

2 Likes

All normal, I get it with my enclosures. Goes away eventually!

Springtails wise, mine seem to boom with feeding and high humidity. Pangea, dried crush meal worms, fruit and veg.
Keep moist also for them!

Daughter has them in with her snails and they’ve gone mad :joy:

3 Likes

do you have any idea what is going on with mine? I know this is about my enclosure but I am confused about the yellow/orange mushroom thingys popping up.

2 Likes

Are you using spring tails in your bioactive? They should make quick work of mold if you have an established colony.

2 Likes

after taking a look at my enclosure it seems like I don’t see the springtail populations inside that I used to see, so i’m wondering if that’s part of the reason why the mold has popped up. I assume you usually don’t have to top off springtails in a bioactive if everythign is correct, so I’m wondering if they ran out of things to eat for a while and just died off. i’m going to try to add some more shortly.

For the isopod enclosures, if it isn’t humid enough, could that cause them to die off also? I can’t seem to figure out why they’re just not present anymore.

2 Likes

You need to feed them in addition to the waste material they eat. I throw in fish flakes and mist the substrate every so often …… :blush:

1 Like