More Speckles in Bananas

This may be an unpopular opinion as it seems like a majority of people are interested in reducing the amount of speckling in bananas, but I’m quite the fan of the speckling as it reminds me of the paradox albino gene in Kenyan sand boas. What genes, if any, are known to increase the amount of speckling when combined with the banana morph?

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is factually proven or just my observations with my own collection but it seems the darker genes like black pastel, cinny, ghi etc, probably because they produce more/darker melanin.

2 Likes

Out of the ones mentioned, it seems black pastel shows the most extreme expression of speckling as an adult as I look at animals that have been on the marketplace.

1 Like

All these genes actually reduce speckles not increase. As do the bel genes I don’t know of any genes that are known to increase the speckling.

3 Likes

black pastel. It is the reason I didnt purchase a banana black pastel.

i have banana lesser fire pinstripe with zero spots so stay away from those genes

withdrawn.

Cinnamon and leopard bring out spots for days.

1 Like

What are you basing that off of? The black pastel coral glows I have hatched came out with zero spots. And everyone that I know that produces them as well has had greatly reduced speckling.

1 Like

this is where I learned that those genes bring out speckles

My pastel banana has freckles for days… some of his offspring have hatched with freckles. i think some of it is just polymorphism.

my boy

4 Likes

This could very well be the case.

2 Likes

A little off topic but if I buy a coral glow to go with my banana would it create super banana? Or is it that the two genes look just alike?

2 Likes

Yes, coral glow and banana are the same gene.

2 Likes

With that concept in mind could you selectively breed for a higher amount of freckles?

Yes you could if that is the case/

2 Likes

If the trait is indeed polymorphic then yes. And if you were curious about how well that would work just look at leopard geckos and a super hypo. A normal has a ton of spots but super hypos were selectively bred for less spots and they have none. Try the exact opposite in ball pythons and in theory the snake can be completely covered in spots.

1 Like

I agree… I think the bigger problem with proving polymorphism in banana is getting the female also… I think there are more females being produced but it is still less than male due to the male sex link. If you could produce or get a female banana with a lot of freckling then maybe it could be tested. I have 3 banana females but they all have 0-few freckles as of yet.

2 Likes

I read that blackhead and i think spider maybe but ik blackhead for sure