Morph id help?

20201012_133726

3 Likes

Super hypo baldy

3 Likes

are you sure, it looks like a normal hypo

I would agree with the suggested morph combo from @westridge

2 Likes

I also agree with @westridge that it is a super hypo baldy.

1 Like

If it has 0 spots on the body, it is a super hypo.

2 Likes

Better pictures?

2 Likes

I can try but it’s hard

1 Like

20201012_193957

1 Like

Yes, definite super hypo baldy.

4 Likes

I also agree with @westridge I think its a Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail Baldy, my first Leo is an SHTCTB!

It isn’t a tangerine if it isn’t orange. And the amount of carrot tail on the animal (extremely minimal) isn’t really enough to qualify it as a carrot tail either.

2 Likes

Agreed. Old guideline for ‘carrot tail’ is 15% of the tail.

I think a lot of breeders don’t understand leo morphs- I’m constantly seeing everything mislabeled tangerine/carrot tail/super hypo, and recently saw a gecko with a patterned head being marketed as a baldy.

It makes me sad, not just because it’s spreading misinformation/messing up amateur breeding, but also because it implies that patterned heads/spotted bodies/etc. aren’t desirable traits to have, when in reality it is totally subjective. A normal gecko is just as beautiful as a Cyclone, just in a different way.

2 Likes

I agree. I just looked at the animals listed as carrot tails on morphmarket, and on the first page of 20, 10 were not carrot tails. Of the 15 listed as baldys, 3 are not. On the first page of 20 tangerines, 5 are not.

1 Like

I’m curious now that you say this. I have two SHTCTB’s… One of which is lighter than the other. One very orange the other more of a yellow Orange. Lol, still SHTCTB though… Right? Learning all of the morphs takes time and dedication!

The one on the keyboard is a definite SHTCTB. The second one is kinda borderline as to whether or not it would be considered a carrot tail. I would probably label it a SHTB if I was selling it. Excellent color on that one though.

1 Like

Love my babies!:two_hearts: thank you for the response!!

1 Like

It can often get pretty subjective when people are labeling animals with polygenic/selectively bred traits. For example, what color does an animal need to be to be called a tangerine? I take it literally and feel that the closer an animal is to the color of a tangerine, the more accurate the label of ‘tangerine’ is with regards to morph/phenotype.

(Edited for spelling and grammar. D’oh! :woman_facepalming:)

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely!

Yeah. If it can’t really be said to be orange, it’s not a tangerine.

2 Likes