Morph ids and possible feeding schedule?

Alrighty, will do! I normally use old boxes for hides but I don’t have enough for every time they poop in them :roll_eyes:. Should I change her to Aspen now or wait for quarantine to be done? They were on Aspen when I got them but it was filthy so I dumped it and used paper so I could monitor poops and whatnot. How do you feed them on Aspen? Move them or give them a plate maybe?

They were on aspen shavings when you sure got them, just get a bag of zoo med aspen bedding so it is shredded. I would go ahead and change her to aspen so she feels safe. You can still monitor her poop since the bedding is a light color. Once you have the hides in there you can turn one over and move her onto it once she strikes the mouse. But do make sure you wait at least 2 weeks to feed her so her throat can recover.

1 Like

Another amazing thing for some hognose who want to be under the bedding but you wanna be able to view them is a tube like a pvc pipe half buried in the bedding with the entrance at the top of it so you can view down at her. Used it for my boy and he used it more than burying naturally.

Alrighty, I should be able to get some today. Idk about hides right off, maybe I can find something for her. Also, is it normal for them not to strike? She just opens her mouth for me to put it in lol

They should be striking if they want to eat. Don’t just put it in their mouth for em, make em hunt.

If you want a disposable tube can use a paper towel tube that can be thrown away after quarantine. Even if its dark snakes, all snakes, like to feel a nice small secure place to be especially if in a new place and needing to get used to it. So consider some kind of hide, even something throw away. I use candy boxes like you find in convenience stores. They get soiled ect just toss and get another. If you have a local store of some kind that you feel comfortable with they might let you have some.

Also I have some lazy snake eaters. I don’t see anything wrong with them just being “spoon fed” a mouse from the tongs. As long as she’s eating you should be thankful for that.

Having 11 snakes I don’t always have cardboard boxes or tubes the right size. Would cutting bigger boxes work? I know that would be more work but that’s fine with me. And she normally comes to the front very excitedly but just opens her mouth for the mouse

Again as long as she’s eating then just go with what works. I have 15 snakes of my own and every single one has a distinct way of reacting, taking, and generally eating their food items. Enjoy you got a hog wanting to eat, even if she is lazy and doesn’t wanna hunt.

As for cutting up boxes I’m sure they would work as long as 3 sides are covered and one side open with one open. But the smaller the opening the better. I think I’ve read on here hot glue is safe as long as it’s dried before putting in a tub? Something without fumes and no chance of the snake getting stuck/hurt is okay.

I’ll try that then, we have several big boxes that the cats play with sometimes. Plus, that should be pretty easy

1 Like

Let me know how it goes. Love to see pics of what you come up with. Who knows you might find a cheaper way to work with hides without buying the more expensive decorative or plastic ones. If you have a steady supply of boxes that is…

You’ll find all of your snakes new and old will benifit from having a couple of hides to go squish in (if you don’t use them in your non quarantine snakes… If you do disregard)

Will do! I also use poptart boxes for my others and just cut out a square for an entrance, they love it!

1 Like

Omg yes! That’s exactly the kinds of boxes I use. I happen to work at a truck stop and so have TONS of access to all kinds of boxes. But have used many a poptart box though one that holds many single packs rather than the standard kind you find in a grocer. Count myself extremely lucky to have a near endless supply.

My bps love those boxes! Too bad they poop once and it’s over :roll_eyes:. I use the 16 pack box for them lol

1 Like

Have you tried cereal boxes? Might be to big for your tub depending but would work excellent for a ball that wants a narrow space…

We don’t eat enough cereal to empty boxes like that lol. The balls are still small (under 300 grams) and aren’t in tubs yet so the poptart boxes are still plenty big/small enough for them.

1 Like

It’s good to know I’m not the only one using boxes as hides

1 Like

I think you’d be surprised at how many people use boxes :joy:. Us people who don’t want to spend money on hides lol

1 Like

She now has Aspen!

Idk where she thinks she’s going lol

4 Likes

Finally got some hides in! They aren’t the prettiest but they’ll serve their purpose lol

7 Likes