Morph Issues [Directory]

Morph Issues

This is a directory of all morph issue pages. Each page list known traits and combos that have issues associated with them. Feel free to reply with updates to these pages.

Last Update: April 05 2022

Reptiles

Morph Issues [All Reptiles]

Pythons

Morph Issues [Ball Pythons]

Morph Issues [Reticulated Pythons]

Morph Issues [Carpet Pythons]

Colubrids

Morph Issues [Corn Snakes]

Boas

Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors]

Geckos

Morph Issues [Leopard Geckos]

Morph Issues [African Fat-Tailed Geckos]

Morph Issues [Crested Geckos]

Lizards

Morph Issues [Bearded Dragons]

Amphibians

Invertebrates

6 Likes

@erie-herps @wrai @bughunter07 if you guys know any invert/amphib issues please get pages started.

4 Likes

I don’t really think most amphibians or inverts have morph issues. Morphs aren’t really bred widely in those except in axolotls and large frogs (which might have morph issues), which I personally don’t know much about.

5 Likes

Alrighty. I am on vacay now so probably won’t be spending too much time searching my brain for morphs until I am back. Shoud get started and begin adding them next week.

4 Likes

I think Super Lilly White is lethal in crested geckos. I’d check with others to verify though.

5 Likes

@ghoulishcresties @lmr_lmreptiles:point_up:

4 Likes

Yeah Lilly to Lilly is lethal.

5 Likes

A couple others to verify

species morph issue
Carpet Pythons Granite deformed due to inbreeding
Carpet Pythons Jaguar wobble
Honduran Milk Snake Extreme Hypo enlarged heart
Texas Rat Snake Leucistic bug eyes
Red-Eared Sliders Pastel scute deformities, general sensitivity, shortened lifespan
Red-Eared Sliders Albino light sensitivity, impaired vision
Western Hognose Albino light sensitivity
3 Likes

@thebeardedherper @t_h_wyman @osbornereptiles @owalreptiles

Any input from you guys on the above.

3 Likes

Concur

Granite has/had inbreeding depression but there is suspicion that it may also have some inherent issues as well, neuro-type symptoms

100% confirmed. The super is also lethal. Jag is basically the Spider of the carpet world

Confirmed. Common to nearly all BluEL-type across genera/species

There is going to be a level of photophobia to all Albinos across all genus/species

6 Likes

Thank you Travis :metal:

Any links to these discussions?

Do you know of any reading material on this?

3 Likes

Lots of discussions on MPR podcast, but nothing “in print”

Nope, just cumulative anecdata across the decades

5 Likes

‘anecdata!’ I’ve never heard that before, I love it!!

5 Likes

None from me. Some of those i wasnt even aware of.

3 Likes

Yep, this is generally a problem with all albinos.

3 Likes

I’m a bit late to the party, my apologies for the hiatus. But in regards to any known issues in amphibians when it comes to morphs, the only morphs that are still true to a specific locale I’ve seen are examples of albinism/melanism, and the issues associated with it are as @t_h_wyman states, photophobia. Aside from that, I’m not aware of any morphs within amphibians, dart frogs or otherwise, that weren’t due to cross-locale hybridization, and examples of that are hard to come by with dart frogs especially because it’s rather frowned upon by the majority of dart frog keepers and breeders to mix the locales. I don’t keep them myself, but I’d be interested to know if anyone has crossed different pacman frogs, as they come in a few varieties, and had any notable issues doing so with them.

As for invertebrates, I know there are tarantula hybrids out there being produced on occasion, but it’s not typical and not something most people who keep things like tarantulas or scorpions engage in, generally, and none of what I’ve seen in that has had any marked issues associated with any specific hybrids, other than disinterested hobbyists over the hybridization. Although, I will note that I’ve seen species of P. villosus (scorpion) that were mixed to change colors. For example, P. villosus Oranje x P villosus Yellow, and they market the offspring as Yellow body Oranje’s, however they were not very popular due to the hybridization, at least not with most serious breeders and keepers. Because of this, any known issues might be kept quieter as a selling point, as well.

4 Likes

There are a number of C. cranwelli morphs that are the result of selective breeding. And there are Hypo variants of RETFs. I know of a single instance of a Leucistic Agalychnis lemur that did not make it past tadpole stage.

They do, they are called “fantasy frogs.” Most are hybrids between C. cranwelli and cornuta but there are also the occasional cranwelli x ornata and cornuta x ornata

3 Likes