Morph question

Yeah, I noticed that when I got him and am going to put him on a bit of a diet, lol :joy:.

3 Likes

That snake is sorta chubby. It looks like a sausage :joy:

4 Likes

Those are some beautiful corn snakes though! Looks like you will have a nice breeding project later on?

4 Likes

Yep, just adding to the breeding group. I have 4 females Im pairing up this year but these guys will definitely up next years season and hoping for some good clutches this year :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

3 Likes

Nice! Keep us updated when you pair them up and with baby pictures! Would love to see what comes out of those morphs.

4 Likes

Oh, and by the way, I just took my corn snakes out of brumation on February 16th after having them in brumation since December 8th. When should I expect the female’s post-brumation sheds?

2 Likes

Since I don’t brumate, I’m not sure! I would imagine probably within a month?

4 Likes

Oh, I didnt know you didn’t brumate. Do you have good success without it?

2 Likes

Yeah I haven’t had any issues not brumating. It just means it’s harder to predict when my snakes will be ready!

4 Likes
3 Likes

Here is a picture of the Amel that we think is diffuseds belly.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d say that looks like a diffused belly. Looking forward to post shed pics of all of him too.

3 Likes

So that would make him a fire right?

3 Likes

Yes! That’s correct.

3 Likes

Nice group! How fortunate you were to find an opportunity like that! I know I’m late to the party, but I had to chime in. I can’t help you on the post-brumation shed either…I haven’t done it for so long, I can’t recall lol. Good luck with your serendipitous breeding group.

Oh, and the amel female following the coral snow sure looks to me like a messy cube-ish stripe rather than anything motley. There’s too much space between her two main dorsal stripes, for one thing. For another, a fair number of her connecting “wannabe cube” marking are noticeably less intensely colored than the stripes. I am being she’s homo stripe, not motley nor motley/stripe. And I’ll say again, nice pickups!

5 Likes

Which of these two are you talking about? The top picture was sold to me as a motley stripe and the bottom was sold to me as an Amel Motley (who they sold to me as a female but actually turns out it’s a male).

3 Likes

I was referring to the one on top, which you were told is motley stripe. Looking at that picture, she is a homozygous stripe with some cubey stuff going on. She does not appear to be carrying a motley allele. I’m not sure if you’ll think that’s good news or not, depends on your breeding goals, but she is a stripe. The width between the dorsal stripes is a giveaway. The connections between the stripes are also noticeably fainter than the stripes, which is far more common with cube types than with homo or het motley animals. I’ve bred for cubes and seen a lot of these messy patterns. I can’t see her head pattern but I’m guessing she has a very thin nose band.

I think she’s lovely, by the way. Wait - no, no she’s not. You should expunge her from your collection by sending her to me. :wink: :joy:

3 Likes

Don’t know how I missed this reply :sweat_smile:. Anyways, I actually found out the person who sold me these mixed up the motley, and what you are saying is a Stripes gender and the Stripe is actually the male and the motley is the female. But it’s ok, about if it is good news or not, I am not sure honestly. I was going to pair him with the normal motley girl. What would be the result of this pairing? On MorphMarket , it says I would get 100% Motley Stripes, but it also says that the calculator does not correctly represent that combo. Thank you in advance, sorry for all the questions.

2 Likes

If you pair a homozygous stripe and a homozygous motley, all F1 offspring will be genotypically het for motley and het for stripe. The terminology for this is usually “motley/stripe,” “motley-stripe,” “motley stripe,” or even “motley het stripe.” That’s the easy part.

The appearance, or phenotype, is motley. Stripe is truly recessive to motley, meaning it does not show. Years ago it used to be thought that perhaps the motley/stripe combo produced snakes who were visually identifiable. This has been proven false. Motley is enormously variable with or without the presence of an allele for stripe.

If you breed your F1s with a homozygous motley, all offspring would be visually motley but there’s uncertainty in genotype. Each would have a 50% chance at having the motley or the stripe allele. Since there’s no way to tell, you would label them as "“motley, p/h stripe.” If you were to breed F1s to a homozygous stripe, you’d get visual stripes (homozygous), and visual motleys (het stripe). If you breed F1s together, you’d get some homozygous visual stripes. You’d also get motleys, some of whom would be homo and some of whom would be het for stripe, thus motley, p/h stripe.

4 Likes

Here is a picture of his face ( seller mixed up the gender of him and the motley they sold me but Im fine with it)

Sorry about the quality of the picture my phones not the greatest :sweat_smile:.

1 Like