Morphmarket corn snake genetic calculator question

I was using the corn snake genetic calculator and I put in what I would get if I paired my amber tessera with my amelanistic just to make sure I was right about the results. It said I would get 50% tessera that is het for amber and amel, and 50% normal with the hets. How is this right I thought that I would get 100% tessera. Is the calculator right and I am just mistaken. Or is the genetic calculator incorrect?

The calculator is correct. To get 100% tessera babies you would need a ‘super tessera’ parent. From what I know, single gene tessera and super forms are identical, so if your tessera came from a pairing that was tessera x tessera, it does have a chance of being a super and then you would get all tessera babies.

4 Likes

Calculator is correct.

You’d need to put your tessera to another tessera for 25% normal with hets, 25% super tessera with hets and 50% tessera with hets.

Or if put to a super tessera, 50% tessera with hets and 50% super tessera with hets.

1 Like

Ok, I see thank you, I also checked with ians vivariums corn snake genetic calculator and it said 100% tessera so I guess it is incorrect. Thats what got me really confused, the calculators saying different outcomes.

A side note… I was told by a VERY reliable source that Super Tessera (i.e., homozygote Tessera) are actually quite rare and that the genetic reasons behind that rarity are not understood. The calculator and ghoulishcresties are correct about a Tessera X Tessera pairing (neither being known super Tessera) producing potentially 25% Super Tessera. Despite that, supposedly the number of Super Tessera in collections worldwide is only a handful, which means something funky must be going on with the Super form of that gene. Perhaps someone with more experience or knowledge can weigh in here.

3 Likes