Morphs lost to time

Does anyone on here know of any morphs that we have lost along the way?

For example, a wild caught animal that never reproduced or died before it could be, and has never been found in the wild again, or a whole collection that succumb to disaster.

What ever the circumstances, does anybody know of any?

3 Likes

I haven’t really kept up on Burmese morphs but AFAIK Bob Clark’s stunning white imported girl from the 90s died without reproducing. Also, I heard the original ghost ball python might have been different from what we call ghosts now. Was wondering if I should breed my caramel het ball females as I thought maybe that morph had gone away but searching found some still selling here.

3 Likes

If by het caramel you mean caramel albino, there is a reason most people don’t work with them anymore. Here is a link to known issues in morphs, and caramel albinos are on the list;
https://owalreptiles.com/issues.php

1 Like

There is little information on the reptile report that talks about morphs called lava and volcano. The urban pythons website has morphs on it that you dont see but doesnt look like it’s been active since 2015. May be that they never took off or never were proven.

4 Likes

I don’t know of any ball python morphs but there was a BCC “true red tail” that never produced. It had a stunning red tail and great contrast. I think Tracy Barker had it but I might be mixed up. From what I recall it never reproduced and passed away.

2 Likes

I stopped producing caramels about 10 years ago because of those issues. Even back then there were reports some breeders didn’t have problems but I wasn’t sure what to do to reproduce their results. Shame as they are very nice looking animals.

well one of the most popular threads here was the infamous “blue ghost” project. as far as i know there have only been 3 of these blue ball pythons and a big breeder had one but died before it could reproduce. it is is still unclear if this blue color is genetic or if it was some sort of fluke but the clutch that was laid from the most recent blue ghost clutch sold for crazy money and i know this because i talked to the guy who owned her. I personally hope this gene proved out because it would have a crazy effect on other morphs. just imagine what a blue ghost clown would look like.

4 Likes

I am hoping the blue ghost proves out! I believe @duncan01 has one and is calling it slate?

Also another that comes to mind the the infamous stormtrooper.

1 Like

yeah Duncan and i talked for a little at one point because i was interested in more info on his blue girl and he said that breeders from all around the world were contacting him. If anyone will make big strides with this gene if it proves would be Justin at JKR if i had to make any bets. will be crazy to see where morphs are in the next 5 to 10 years.

2 Likes

Are leucistic hog nose available yet? The story is the original came from eggs laid by a wild caught female but because of Colorado’s laws they were confiscated. Supposed the authorities would have ended up killing the ones they got but hopefully some had already escaped the country.

Stormtrooper is not a morph, he is just a one-off kind of animal

There was one listed on MorphMarket just the other day.

As for “orphan” morphs;

• Graziani had two lines of Hypo that were incompatible with the major line in the hobby and also incompatible with each other. He called them G1-Hypo and G2-Hypo. I have not seen either of those in a few years.

• There was a “Paradigm” ball that was extremely similar in appearance to Candy/Toffee but pre-dated those morphs by a half dozen years or so. It was stolen from the owner in an acrimonious break-up if memory serves me…

• Ben Renick had the Hydra, have not seem many of those around

• Brant Rustich of Major League Reptiles had a bunch of animals that he claimed to have proven out as being morphs, the vast majority of those seem to have disappeared after he sold his collection off when he got out.

• There was an animal called Jester that looked like an extremely freckled Banana/CG. Never heard what happened to it

• Both VPI and RDR had Patternless animals that were proven to be genetic. Last I heard only one person was still working on that project

• The Razor was an allele in the BlkPastel group that was identified about a decade ago. I have only seen one person working with it in recent time

5 Likes

Someone mentioned to me in a live recently about the Atomic morph for ball python.
Hasn’t been heard since 2013. I’d love to know what happened to it.

2 Likes

I’d like to know what happened to Lava. I was cruising the internet and stumbled upon it, looked pretty cool.

1 Like

The Hydra morph is out there I know 2 people working with and have eggs in the incubator as to what they plan to do once they hatch I have no idea. I had a Hydra female got egg bound and was retired as a breeder.

1 Like

In the days of the BLBC, Larry used to talk about an animal called the “Rainbow Pied.” IIRC he said there was a photo of it floating around but part of its body was obscured by a bag. Not sure if it was a morph made in Africa, or if it was even linked to today’s piebald or rainbow mutations.

2 Likes

The rainbow pied was a one off and not genetic as far as I know. There have been a lot of non reproducible things over the years that came out of Africa. I imported crazy stuff back when I was importing a lot. Some of them became morphs but a lot more didn’t.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned the albino green anaconda that appeared in a full page or two-page ad in Reptiles Magazine so many years ago. I can still picture it in my mind and have often wondered what became of it over the years. This was back when baby imported anacondas were around $85-$100 if I recall correctly.
Two more morphs elude me, the albino eastern chain kingsnake, which I was informed was a project that stopped abruptly when it was felt that it was a cross with a Florida King for the albino Gene.

The other is the white-sided albino bull snake. I wanted one for so long and I swear they all fell off the face of the Earth, they had been termed “Snow” bullsnakes when they came out.

5 Likes

Any new input here?

3 Likes

I’ve noticed The Urban Reptile hasn’t posted anything about ‘Onyx’ in years, in leopard geckos, so I’d consider it most likely extinct.

2 Likes