Most cost-effective pulse proportional thermostat for multiple heat sources?

I’m looking to upgrade my simple on/off thermostats to a pulse proportional unit(s) in the near future, and I’m just curious what the most cost-effective option would be for controlling multiple heat sources. Many only seem to have one outlet and one probe, which would mean that I’d need a separate thermostat for each heating source, which seems like it would get real pricey real fast, not to mention taking up a bunch of wall/power strip outlets and having a bunch of thermostat controllers to organise and keep straight. Currently I have four heating devices between two enclosures (two heat sources for each enclosure). I’ve seen some thermostats that have two or more outlets, but it’s sometimes unclear how many probes they have, and if you can set different temperatures for each outlet/heat device. Ideally I’d like to have an outlet and probe for each heating source (so four outlets and four probes total, with the ability to set different temps for each).

Just to be clear, I’m not necessarily asking for the cheapest unit, but for the most cost-effective way to control four separate heating devices with pulse proportional thermostat(s). Are there units that have at least two outlets and two probes? Or better yet, is there a unit that has four outlets and probes that allows you to set different temps for each? Would such a unit be cheaper/better than buying/using four separate single units?

I don’t need a dimming feature, as my heat sources don’t produce light (heat mats and ceramic heat emitters, might upgrade to radiant heat panels at some point). I just need something pulse proportional and reliable. I realise that it’s probably not going to be cheap no matter what I do, and that’s okay, I just don’t want to end up spending way more than I have to. I’m having trouble determining what options are out there with the features I need, so I figured this would be a good place to ask. I hope my explanation isn’t too confusing. I’m happy to try to clarify anything that’s unclear.

1 Like

I would go with a Herpstat 4 by Spyder Robotics, it’s a dimming thermostat that has 4 probes and and 4 outlets. The’re absoutely fantastic, I run any/all heat sources off of Herpstats

4 Likes

I 2nd the recommendation for herpstat. I have Multiple Vivarium Electronics and Herpstat thermostats and they all work wonderfully.

3 Likes

I 3rd Herpstat. I have three of them and they are wonderful products. The customer service is also fantastic. Last year a heat lamp fell onto one and melted the outer shell and one of the outlets. I just now got around to having it fixed and they repaired it at no cost, just had to pay shipping. They also had it back to me within a week. All around fantastic company.

4 Likes

I’d seen the Herpstat 4, but had been unclear if it actually had a separate probe for each outlet. Now that I’ve looked at their website, I see it quite clearly states that you get a probe and independent temp control for each outlet, which is awesome! It’s not cheap, but it’s less than $100 per heat source, which is actually a pretty good value. Definitely cheaper and more streamlined than dealing with 4 separate units. I don’t really need dimming, but who knows, maybe I’ll be glad to have the option to use it with a heat lamp in the future.

Now I just have to decide if I want to splurge on the Herpstat 6 instead so that I’ll have those two extra outlets if/when I need them…

2 Likes

If the cost difference won’t be a problem for you, I definitely think going with the 6 is a good idea.

1 Like

Not gonna lie, the price on the 6 is a little painful, but when you break it down into price per heat source, it seems like the best value for the quality and features it provides. Buying the 6 now would ultimately cost significantly less than needing to buy a second two-outlet unit later.

2 Likes