Most Fascinating Reptile You Own

I simply wish to kickstart this discussion and invite everyone to share a photograph of the most captivating reptile they currently possess or have ever owned. I seek inspiration for intriguing reptilian companions, whether they be uncommon, elusive, expensive, or within a reasonable budget. Your contribution is greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

All of them other than the ball pythons and cresties :crazy_face:

7 Likes

My Maxx Pink Argentine boa Dratini!

8 Likes

I respectfully have to differ with the cresties. Their history is super interesting, and they’re cool :slight_smile:

4 Likes

10 Likes

Such a beautiful snake

2 Likes

So so cool :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Seriously? :unamused:!

3 Likes

I mean it, I am going to get one of these from you…100%

4 Likes

If my adult ‘female’ proves to be a female I may get my first chance at them this year. If not, I’m a couple years away but I’m excited to breed another new species.

4 Likes

Probably one of these little derps

4 Likes

Quite serious

Ball pythons are fine for “playing god” by doing all the morphs and stuff, but I am a geneticist by trade so I very literally tinker with genes (and in much MUCH more complex ways) on a daily basis. All that is left at that point is the “paint jobs”, and I can get crazy paint from countless different animals

As far as cresties…

When viewed only looking at that species, on the surface, sure. But, with being a geneticist I have also gained a deep interest/fascination/understanding of evolution. When viewed through that lens, cresties are not particularly unique and when you take that away you are again left with just “paint jobs”

Further, I have an extremely strong revulsion with the entire MLM/pyramid-scheme that dominates both of those corners of this hobby

When I look at my other species, I find so much more about them fascinating:

• Black milk snakes, unlike all other milks, have evolved to undergo a massive ontogenetic colour change to cope with the cooler temps where they are native to
  • Rubber boas are the northernmost occurring boa and speculated to be one of the longest living snakes
  • GBKs, and the Black Gap locality especially, are native to one of the harshest environments found in the US and they thrive there
  • Tanimbar pythons are basically undergoing real-time evolution as their native habitat is clear cut, much like the pepper moth of old
  • Beaked snakes are incredibly intelligent and curious. I have a couple of mine target trained to a laser pointer
  • Kukri have specialized teeth that it appears initially evolved for a diet specialized in eggs but has been exploited by them to be able to feed on the internal organs of other animals. This gives them the ability to eat things that are externally toxic or much larger than themselves or even take advantage of things like roadkill as a food source
  • Pseudaspis have a very interesting form of sexual dimorphism where the males have significantly different dental structure because their male-to-male combat involves trying to castrate their rival!
  • Candoia bibroni austarlia exhibit ridiculous levels of colour change depending on time of day, “emotion”, temperature, reproductive status… They are practically chameleons. They also have an insane level of sexual dimoprhism where the males display a level of neoteny that results in dietary niche partitioning so they are not competing with the females for food as the females require huge energetic input to be able to breed given their nearly human length gestation
12 Likes

Well Travis I may be a not too bright old lady born and reared in KY but I get your drift. Actually I was just kidding you anyway. But thank you so much for your in-depth explanation as a learned geneticist. You present your expertise/ knowledge to the nth degree. As a matter of fact, your replies to me and @indiflare are a tad condescending, imho. Paint Jobs…. And pardon my ignorance but what is an MLM/Pyramid Scheme? Does this include Leopard geckos as well?

Not all of us are as learned as you in the science of “evolution” including myself. I enjoy my ball pythons as well as my crested and leopard geckos as parts of my reptile collection. Because I don’t know any different? Maybe. But my animals are as interesting and enjoyable to me as yours are to you, for different reasons obviously. Unfortunately I do not have the room for elaborate enclosures to house some of the animals you have mentioned as well as the expertise to keep them. But I am glad that you do!

Again, my “Seriously” reply was just a facetious remark to begin with! :joy:. I still love ya Travis! :blush:

1 Like

No condescension implied or meant, this is how I reply to pretty much everyone one. I am blunt and to the point; how I always have been and always will be. And yes, I know it rubs some people the wrong way, but this dog is too old for new tricks. Besides, most people that get to know me come to understand there is no malice in how I talk

At no point were any of my comments directed at the intelligence or education of you or anyone else here. My noting being a geneticist and having a deep fascination with evolution are explanations as to the ‘why’ of my reasoning. We all have our ‘whys’ in this conversation, but mine was specifically questioned and so I then chose to answer that question

Your choice of emoji strongly implied criticism to me, not jest

Joy of the typed word on the internet… A lack of social/physical/emotional cues to judge intent

MLM = Multi-Level Marketing

And yes, I would include leopard geckos under that as well. And hognose and beardies and corn snakes and CalKings and carpets and burm and retics and on and on and on and on and on…

A HUGE part of this hobby revolves around the perpetuated belief that you can only be legitimate if you are breeding and if you are going to be breeding then you should be making money and the only way to make money is by making “awesome combo X” using whatever the current morph of the minute is. The people at the top of the pyramid are the only ones really making money by selling the dream that “you too can be as cool and rich as them” if you only apply yourself hard and keep buying what they tell you is cool

10 Likes

Ahhhhhh! All points well taken Travis! I suppose I should pay more attention to emojis from now on. Or just skip them altogether.

I am a way older dog than you so yes new tricks are not on my agenda either. I try not to participate much anymore as I get way too irritated over things that don’t amount to diddly squat most of the time. However some of my past posts/replies are still filtering through such
as yours so……….

I am glad you explained the MLM though. I see that clearly now. Never thought it applied to the reptile world but where the almighty dollar is concerned just about anything can be exploited. Sad but true in this wilderness of a world.

Glad to see you are returning to your spicy self Travis. Hoping that Julie is put on the top of the “A” List soon! See ya in the funny papers. You’re a bird in this world! Gotta love ya!

3 Likes

I think we may have had this conversation before so my apologies in advance but are your beaked snakes WC or CB/CBB? I have seen Red Beaked snakes in a few places but so I am curious as to what you have…….

2 Likes

Sorry for slow reply, I only access here while at work and I took some time off so we could go see totality

I would not skip emojis, they are usually a lot more helpful when conveying intent. You and I just happened to be on different pages so there was misunderstanding

Been there, fully understand. There are certainly days/times where I go walkabout for the sake of my sanity

Also, please know that I am in no way angry or upset with you. As I said, simple misunderstanding

Yes :crazy_face: :rofl:

My rostratus are all CBB

Two of my oxyrhynchus are CH and three are WC

True red beaked snake, Rhamphiophis rubropunctatus, have not been legal to import in nearly two decades and I only know of a very ver small number in the hands of dedicated keepers

Anything you see labeled as “red” is almost certainly not a real red, and is instead a mislabeled (occasionally mistaken ID but also intentional obfuscation) oxyrhynchus. They should more properly be called Western rufous beaked snakes

I have oxys and rostratus. I will see about posting some updated pics here soon-ish

5 Likes

Thank you so much Travis, for your kind words. Yes we were not on the same page (I am blaming my eyesight for the “angry” looking emoji)! :joy:. However we are now! No worries for either of us! :blush:

Thank you for the info on the beaked snakes. I am definitely interested in them. Thank you again Travis! I appreciate you! :pray::heart:

4 Likes