Most under-rated snake species

Thank you for showing her!!! I love her! I want a Snow more than anything, but when it comes to it, I will not be picky.

Thank you again, you have both made me very happy. :smiley:

I have pretty much the opposite problem :laughing:. They are 100% legal to keep as a pet where I live (Germany), but I can’t find a breeder or even a wild-caught specimen anywhere near me for the life of me! Have been looking for almost two years now… the reptile community is so much smaller in europe than it is in the US. I even went to the biggest reptile convention around, but not a single one :confused:. It’s too bad, they really are amazing animals.

2 Likes

It took me five years of looking living here in the US! They are just not produced that often

So I’m not just bad at research and they’re really that hard to find, good to know :laughing:. I read through the complete breeder directory of our local herpetological society just recently, the last instance of them being bred here was around 6 years ago… If I may ask, how did you finally find one? Maybe you had an idea I haven’t tried yet?

Total fluke. One of the people I follow on Instagram posted a pic of some. I immediately messaged him and bought a pair. Unfortunately he no longer keeps the species

Do you plan on breeding them yourself?

So I guess it’s still combing through classifieds and forums for me until I hopefully also get lucky one day :thinking:. Thank you for answering though, congratulations on your fluke, I’m admittedly really jealous :smile:

If this was directed at me: Not initially, but the longer I look for them, the readier I am to get back into breeding as soon as I can get my hands on a rubber boa breeding pair.

If not: I’m sorry for being presumtuous, still have to get 100% used to navigating this forum. Not that quick on the uptake :smile:

1 Like

Sorry, it was aimed a T but I’m happy to hear everyone’s plans. :blush:
I wish you the best of luck finding a pair, I really want to see more of them on here.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I added the Sorry, just wasn’t sure :sweat_smile:.
Thank you very much, I really hope I can find some anytime soon. It’s honestly so refreshing to see people (other than me & my exotic vet) appreciating these animals :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, once they are up to size I will breed them. Still have a couple years though, they are not a species that can be pushed like balls.

2 Likes

Most underrated would definitely be anything Pituophis for sure, especially as far as beginner-friendly animals go. Easy to keep and such unique personalities, I have no idea why they’re not more popular (besides things like black pines etc).

1 Like

Because they like to finger-paint with the poop LOL

I agree Antaresia’s are underrated. I love my little Stimson’s.

and although I don’t have one I think that the Woma’s are underrated as pythons as well.

Depending on how you look at the taxonomy of them with a lot of confusion to the hanges and how people still classify them I think the Lampropeltis Mexicana is also underrated. Just depends how you group Thayeri, Mex Mex, and the others but they are very nice snakes.

6 Likes

I know the last post was a while ago, but I’d like to continue the conversation.
download-4

my pick is water pythons. I’ve never kept any myself, but they’re on my list. they’re typically about 6 feet long, they make plenty of use of water, they will make use of branches if you want to give it to them, but they’ll do just fine, thrive even without them. they have no need for climbing space, but that doesn’t meant they don’t like it. they’re temperment varies, but like every other snake, if you work with them, they’ll be very placid. the whole liasis genus is to under-represented in the U.S.