Most under-rated snake species

Let’s have a thread with some really cool and under appreciated snake species.

Personally I’m very excited to have the chance to product some children’s pythons next season. They are such cool snakes and I have absolutely fallen in love with both them and my spotteds. I feel they would make a great beginner snake for those who want to start small and go so under-appreciated here.

I also have a pair of olive pythons I am working with that are amazing. They are a large snake but are very interactive and easy to handle. Mine are still quite young but growing fast.

65908941_2343885288980873_7870183197524682289_n

12 Likes

Very cool. Children’s Pythons are definitely something I want to get into eventually.

For under appreciated snake species I’ll say Cape House Snakes Boaedon capensis. My T+ x het T+ pair is breeding size/age now but I am letting the female mature even more before I start pairing. They have a unique look, are very hardy and handleable, have a great feeding response, and are said to be very prolific.

6 Likes

Very cool! I’ve always loved the head pattern on those. How large do they get?

1 Like

From what I read females get to about 4 feet, while males stay much smaller around 2. This seems to line up with how my pair has progressed.

2 Likes

My children’s female is a firecracker… some days she bites the crap out of me, some days she’s one of my calmest snakes. I’m not sure she’s beginner material lol

My Cape house snakes are really really docile and handle-able though. My female prefers winding through my fingers.

3 Likes

Interesting! Mine have never struck at me unless I’m holding mice. Even some corn snakes and ball pythons can be on the unpredictable side though, I have a ball who has tagged me several times defensively. One individual isn’t always representative of the species.

2 Likes

Brown house snakes are pretty much over rated in South Africa, seeing that its endemic to the country of course. I find them in my garden, in my street, in the house. But they are very popular as pets amongst kids.

2 Likes

All of the pituophis genus including bull snakes I think are under rated!
My favorite antaresia species is the anthill python! And is definitely a dream snake!

8 Likes

Yep, funny how we tend to sometimes take for granted the things that are right under our noses and aren’t “exotic”.

Sumatran Short Tails. Fairly uncommon and no morphs aside from T+ albino but there are 3 varieties: orange head, chrome head, and black head. They were originally called “black blood pythons” because they would turn up in shipments of wild caught bloods.

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Disposition of Sumatran Short Tail Pythons?

For me it’s got to be my vine snake. Ahaetulla Nasuta. He is so sweet, although he’s “handled” for cleaning 1-4 a year - bioactive setup. Super interesting animal to watch hunt, rest, and live.

3 Likes

As diurnal animals, he sometimes sleeps and the geckos, who are awake at night, think he’s just another branch

6 Likes

I know this is an old topic, but I still have to add… the rubber boa! They’re insanely cool in my opinion! Not only are they super docile but their tiny scales also feel very unique to the touch. Yes, they’re small and unassuming, but I feel like they deserve so much more recognition than they get.
indecx
:arrow_up: northern rubber boa/charina bottae
incharinadex
They’re cute & tiny!

5 Likes

I can agree with you on this. Rubbers are a great species

2 Likes

I wish I could work with rubber boas but they are native to my state and thus illegal for me to keep as a pet. VERY cool snakes though! I’m glad to see them pop up here.

1 Like

Rosy Boas. I don’t own any, but I will eventually. They get about 2 feet in length, max. I went to a reptile show and got to hold one. She tried so hard to constrict my hand, it was the most adorable thing ever. So tiny.

2 Likes

Rosy boas are often over shadowed by sand boas sadly. I find they are better for handling and aren’t nearly as shy.

This is Andromeda, a San Matias rosy boa. She was a runt when born and is still small for her age, but she is still growing. Very slowly, but growing.

9 Likes

Very pretty

1 Like

She just shed so she is extra orange today lol.

1 Like