Moving and storage of racks/snakes

So, my wife and I are looking at the idea of moving in the next 6 months. Most likely will be within a 1 hour distance of where we are.

The dilemma that im having, is figuring out what to do with my snakes and racks before we move. My wife would like me to have them out of the house for showings, and I don’t blame her and understand it would be easier to show and sell the house without them in there. I’ve only got 3 racks currently, and one pvc enclosure/ a total of 20 snakes.

What’s the best bet for storing the snakes outside of our house? Her parents live near by, but her mom would most likely not let that many snakes be there. She’s not a huge fan of them. She suggested a climate controlled storage unit, but I don’t believe they have outlets or a way to get the temp up to what it’s needed to be, so they?

Any suggestions would be great, looking to try to plan ahead to make everything as smooth as possible.

Thanks!

I suggest telling your wife that there’s no way you’re going to risk the health of your ectothermic animals in the middle of winter. Racks can be covered by sheets if needed.

2 Likes

It’ll be 6 months from now, so won’t be middle of winter.
I never said I was against my wife’s thoughts; because I agree with her.

If it is nice weather during the time frame you will be showing your home, perhaps a small insulated shed/out building would be the way to go. That way you can move them back and forth as you see fit. If you have an attached garage putting them in the garage and covering them would be another alternative as well.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t have a garage or access to an insulated shed. That’s why we’re looking for something external.

I don’t know where you are located, but do you have any keepers that you know are local to you where you could keep them for the week, or any place like a reptile shop that offers boarding? Maybe someone you have an existing relationship with like a breeder you got animals from or a previous customer. Or even rent a house or apartment (might be too expensive depending on property prices in your area) for like a month?
I know that morph mixology on YouTube had a similar thing where he had to move and remove the animals for showings and what he did was hired a box trailer and ran power to it while he needed them out of the house.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t risk moving them for showing the house. Put them in the corner of a closet and add some boxes around them to hide them and cover them with some light sheets (if it doesn’t get too hot).

5 Likes

I completely agree with this.

1 Like

I just moved a few months ago and when we were showing the house I left all my snakes in the house. They were upstairs so I just put a sign saying they were harmless and couldn’t get out ect. I didn’t have any issues or complaints. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No closet space is big enough, we live in a roughly 800 sq ft house, so it’s pretty small. And the closets don’t really function like closets, just kind of a Cubby in the wall.
Sounds like I don’t have many good options

1 Like

Instead of a closet you could put them in an unused corner, storage area, or if you have one the basement.

1 Like

Definitely don’t have a basement, it’s a very small house and we have no real “unused” areas.

1 Like