Multiple C serpent rack all connected to one thermostat or multi thermostat unit

I’m ordering multiple racks and was going to run all of them off a single thermostat vs getting a thermostat that has a prob and plug for each rack. What do you all do.
I was thinking about getting a herpstat 1 or the herpstat 4
Thanks

2 Likes

Hello! Welcome to our community, I think you’ll like it here. There are lots of experienced and knowledgeable people here to help you with your questions. I know some breeders with multiple C Serpents or other quality racks will chime in to really answer your question better.
For me, I might be comparing apples to oranges because I don’t have any experience with having professionally made racks. We made them ourselves. I have separate probes and thermostats for each rack because I worry about stuff a lot, like where the rack is placed in the room vs. the other rack and (variance in temp based on being closer to the door, etc.) I’m probably just overly paranoid though. Actually, I also have separate basic probe thermometers for each level and Govee hygrometers in each tub. Ok, I’ll stop there because I’m coming off as crazy now.

1 Like

Hi and welcome! I second @gina5678 way of doing things. Maybe with a multiple probe thermostat it would be fine, but even in my experience the bottom(especially if on the floor) is a few degrees different from the middle or top. I prefer to have one thermostat per rack and if a large rack more then 1, or a dual probe type thermostat. I have one homemade melamine one with the first 4 levels on 1 thermostat and the last 3 levels on another. Also a factor to think about is the ambient temp in your snake room, is it stable, large spikes in temperature, ect. If your room is warm and stable you may get away with less thermostats just because it doesn’t have to cover a huge temperature spread. Hope this helps you! Good luck👍

2 Likes

Another potentially solution is to use ambient room heat. Heat the entire room to what temp you want, I heat my room to around 80-82 degrees, and barely need the rack heat at all.

3 Likes

All good ideas. We use 1 duel unit per rack. This way we have a probe for top and bottom for each.

One thing you can do is test the temps in each tub with room air after you have them completely setup. This will give you an idea as to how far off the temps are from each other. Top to bottom temps to middle of room to close to door or window. If it all seems to be even, then you can probably get away with less probes. If there is a wide range, you will definitely need more probes. You should also test with the heat source on, but I would not allow the temps to get to high. Keep it close to what you need. You might only need the heat on for 30 min to do this. No matter what you need get yourself something to check /test the temps on a regular basis, until you have it tuned in and for at least a year.

Need to edit the last past. I did not mean for it to sound like you need to test for a year, before you use it. Your testing time could be a few days to a month, depending on the outcome. I had mine tuned in in 2 days and never needed to change it.

3 Likes